Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

717capt

Hey guys,

First let me say, that we all look forward to becoming part of the Southwest family and working together. And not just the pilot group, but all the great employees of Airtran. Southwest will really gain some wonderful people in this aquisition and together we can make Southwest even better that it is now.

If you guys have a moment I have a few questions regarding your training at Southwest. This may have been answered before, but I'm just to lazy to look through hundreds of posts.

1. What is your recurrent training like. At Airtran we have a computer based on-line ground training for recurrent. AOM, FOM, Systems, Hazmat and any other hot topics are covered. It's roughly about 80hrs. worth of on-line training that may take you as long to complete as you would like. Usually you have about 3 months advance notice that the online training is available for you, so basically get it done before you dequalify. Most guys usually do it on long layovers or whenever for that matter.

2. Then after the on-line stuff is completed we have a 1 day recurrent course that is added to your schedule. This is added by you based on available days for the month. This one day course is held at our training center in ATL and covers safety, security, crm and also more hazmat. Quizes are also administered that cover the aom/fom. Then you head across the street to another training center to the mock up trainers to physically open emeregency exit doors, over wing windows, touch fire extinguishers, put on fire hoods, portable oxygen that kinda thing.

3. As far as our PC/PT's go it's assigned to your schedule but you usually know about 2 months ahead of time. It is blocked for 6 hours. usually about a 1 hour oral followed by 3-4 hours of a sim check.

I'm just wondering how it is done at Southwest.

As far as questions about scheduling. How are your trips laid out. I recall hearing years ago that you guys have something called am/pm flying is that still the case? Are most trips 3days/4days are there 1 days. Any info would be helpful.

Also what are your junior /senior bases. Any possibility of DEN being a base in the future. I'm sure you all know that in addition to ATL which is our largest base, we recently openend up MKE and MCO. MKE is not that big but may grow in the future and MCO has already had more crews recently added. BTW MCO opened up as a base effective today. Can you drop trips? Can you pick up trips from other domiciles or are you limited only to your own domicile.

I know it's a lot of questions guys and I thank you in advance for taking the time to respond.
Looking forward to working together with all of you.

Thanks

Last edited:
Oh, Lord . . . Give me patience . . . .

Let me guess- this is from the same guy who, during an "All-Pilot" conference call about picketing, was asking questions during the Q&A session about how retro pay was taxed . . . . :erm:

With important things going on right now, like settling our current contract (negotiations that have been going on for 6 years) . . . and then, this little, nagging matter of SLI . . . . . I can certainly see why you would be tugging on their proverbial pantleg, eager to know about when their training events are scheduled . . . . :laugh:

Last edited:
Let me guess- this is from the same guy who, during an "All-Pilot" conference call about picketing, was asking questions during the Q&A session about how retro pay was taxed . . . . :erm:

With important things going on right now, like settling our current contract (negotiations that have been going on for 6 years) . . . and then, this little, nagging matter of SLI . . . . . I can certainly see why you would be tugging on their proverbial pantleg, eager to know about when their training events are scheduled . . . . :laugh:

Nope wasnt' me. But your right. We do have more important things to do right now, so maybe this question was timed a little premature.

Sorry . . . Ol' Ty's a little frustrated about the lack of movement on the Contract.

Could you be ANY more negative?

Does it make you feel good to shoot down someones questions? Jeez, Ty, a little positive contribution would be nice....

What Ty & 717capt said.

I can give some quick answers, though.

Our training is almost exactly as you described yours. Online plus a day in the classroom each year. It is tacked on to a sim training event in Dallas (PC or PT). We usually only know a month ahead when the sim will be scheduled. You can have it replace a trip or be scheduled in between trips (if you want the $$$$). Cpts hit the sim every six months...FOs every year. Been talking about a 9mos training cycle for all some day....believe it when you're living it.

Trips are in either an AM or PM pattern, most hard lines start on the same day of the week through the month. One month bid periods; no PBS; no redeyes; lots of opportunity to trade trips with company or other pilots. Open time system that is vast and still evolving w/our new contract...too much to go into here. Can't drop trips unless there is a buyer. You can pick up trips at other bases but there are a few restrictions. Base seniority has been posted elsewhere recently....TX bases are senior, LAS and OAK are junior, all others are in the middle. DEN will be a crew base....just be prepared to wait a while for it.

Welcome aboard!

Last edited:
As my bro airlinepilot said, there are some differences in base seniority between CAs & FOs. PHX is a good example...soon to eclipse HOU & DAL for CAs (my prediction), but starting to go pretty junior for FOs. The high Kernal factor must be chasing them all off. :smash:

Latest resources

Back