Questions for NetJet Pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Air Bear 8

I was hired in August of 04 and I have only been on the line for 4 months so maybe as a “newbie” who came from the Airways Express (CHQ) I can tell you about my experience. First off let me say how sorry I am about Airways. My Father is a 60 year old Inspector who is barley holding to third shift line at ORD after coming to US Air through the Piedmont deal years ago. I will probably be trying to find him a maintenance position with NJA before too long.

Anyway…as I said I came to NJA from CHQ just prior to receiving my captain award on the RJ. I decided to come here because I did not want to spend any more years at a company that I had no allegiance too and that I had no interest in retiring from. While being based in CMH I met countless Crew who mostly had good things to say about NJA…. especially Pilots who came from previous 121 carriers. Everyone I talked to would say that “NJA treats me better than xyz airline and when the contract gets figured out than this has the potential of becoming a great place to work.”

Schedules: No reserve!!!! I will remember reserve and crash pad lifestyle for the rest of my life and the fact that I don’t have to do that anymore is AWSOME! I know of lots of folks who received the 7 on and 7 off right out of training, but worse case scenario is that you will start on the 17 day (13 hard days off). I don’t know how senior one has to be where you are to hold a schedule that guarantees being “home” for 13 24hr days / month but for me that was worth a lot. Not to mention the company gives you a schedule for three months at a time. The Flex is there if you want it. Some like it and some don’t. I have been flying the Flex this quarter and had good luck with it, but whatever.

At Work: The only experience I can speak for is my own which is on the Falcon. I will point out that in my Indoc class there were folks from US Air, United, Delta, American and an endless other amount airlines and Branches of Service and at least in my class everyone was on the Falcon or the X. The biggest change from airline to fractional is that no two days are the same. You could literally be in the Islands one day and be in Vancouver the next. Some don’t like the fact that the next day could be anything. I personally don’t mind different destinations after flying day after day after day to LGA, BOS, JFK, DFW. Coming from the regionals and having 20-30 minute turns just to make another “meal” out of pretzels and diet coke are GONE! The crew decides when to invite the pax out and if you are not ready….than you are not ready. You will leave when you are ready. The typical “turn” is usually a minimum 1-11/2 hours. Delivered Crew Food can never compare with running through the terminal to stand in line to spend 10.00 on a crappy box lunch at LGA. There are some guidelines about food, but for the most part you eat whatever you want. Mean while you are keeping your per diem of 38.somthin/day…which doesn’t suck.

Treatment: I don’t personally know how Mesa works but if it is anything like other contract regionals than they are all pretty similar. The other day we had an issue that required us to get into the checklists and roll the trucks as a precaution. Even though the airplane had a tummy-ache that would down it for 4 days, the trip got cancelled, and the trucks rolled, we filled out ZERO paperwork for the company! My captain called our Chief Pilot, explained the situation, and was told “Good Job on the landing. Go Hang at the Hotel.” That would have never, never happened at my pervious airline. There would have been an endless amount of paperwork in regional management’ continual hobby of trying to get their crews violated.

Obvious Perks: Schedules, Food, Overall Treatment
Again I can only speak from my own experience and outside of the pay; I believe that NJA can not compare with any regional out there. Gauging from the demographic of everyone I was in class with, and continue to see on the road, there are many who came to NJA from one airline or another and think they made the right decision too.

Good luck with whatever decision you make.

F9 Fan

Frontier

The sad part is the wages you accepted, it hurts the entire industry.
Check the median pay for a DA2000 Type Rated Corporate Pilot,with NBAA or AVCREW.
I know its a subject with 3 million replies, not trying to single you out, But with all the airline guys bailing out to work for peanuts, Netjets has no reason to change their pay. Its has been that way since 1986.

I absolutely agree that the difference of a NJA typed DA-2000 pilot’ earnings compared to the NBAA standard is extreme. I also agree with the idea that one does not earn what he believes he is worth but rather what he is able to bargain for.

Before I came to NJA I was a First Officer on a Regional Jet for CHQ. I was not in a position of accepting a job as a DA-2000 typed pilot who could negotiate for NBAA wages. I was someone who was willing to leave a regional and become a part of a new team.

650, I don’t take any offence to your comment. I hope that everyone who works in the fractionals will be able to command those saleries someday. Today I just hope that in the near future your current, and completely logical argument, will loose it’s merit because of what the StrongUnion representation will be able to achieve at NJA.

F9 Fan

AirBear

Check out Airtran, I hear they are starting service out of CLT soon. The way I understand it, that was the market where US Air was making money. That could be the nail in the coffin for them. Airtran is hiring and they are doing very well.

Live4flyng said:
Check out Airtran, I hear they are starting service out of CLT soon. The way I understand it, that was the market where US Air was making money. That could be the nail in the coffin for them. Airtran is hiring and they are doing very well.

Some ex-usair guys I flew with at Mesa have got on with AirTran. The trick is you have to attend a job fair and talk with the rep to have a chance. I plan on doing that if at all possible. I wish AirTran had been at the job fair I went to last weekend. At least I got some face time with a SWA Chief Pilot, maybe something will come of that. ATL would be a fairly easy commute from CLT, I could drive it in 3.5 hours if I had to.

I'm still not going to turn NetJets down unless I have a very strong chance somewhere else. I see it as much more secure place to be for the next few years while I wait for the airline industry to figure out where it's going.

AirBear

Let me get this right: you are willing to leave a job making more money to come here and then try to work your days off to make a litte more money, but still less than what you are making at Mesa? You'll never upgrade here... so you will never make what you are making at Mesa now. We are in the middle of contract negotiations, and it looks like if you come here you might be walking a picket line with us in June. The latest upgrade to captain is going to go in the 7-800 seniority levels, in that's in the lowest entry plane we have (BE400), no apu, and a bucket for a potty, that you as the FO would have to carry out, clean and sanitize for the next "owners". Any plane you would like to fly is going in the 2-300 range. Right now, we are sitting here and laughing at your post, sitting on "duty" under 91K for up to 14 hours in the FBO. Now they are moving us to the terminal to report in the mornings (typically well before 4am) because the FBOs are kicking us out. Your friens are probably new hires, and haven't been here long enough to know or understand what's going on. Too much koolaid in CMH. Stay where you are at. The grass always looks greener....
P.S. If you come here, bring your rubber gloves and don't get any on you. P.S.S. Dr. B has his own set of rubber gloves when you come, so get ready to bend over for the company medical.

My job pays more right now, but it is very insecure. The deal Air Whisky made with US Airways leads many of us at Mesa to believe we're going to be dumped before they exit Chapter 11. If that happens I'm down to 3rd year F/O rates, which is less than even the current rate at NJA after allowing for benefits.

I don't mind working days off when I live 15 minutes from where I have to report. It's the commuting that I'm tired of. With the recent schedule change at Airways many PHL trips are not commutable from CLT on either end now. I'm borderline between reserve and lineholder. If reserve, I get 8 days off in 28 and have to give up a chunk of those 8 days to go up the night before and come back the morning after. To me that's worse than working a flex schedule at NJA.

As for a strike, I doubt NJA can take a strike. This is where you guys have some good leveage. The fractional owners would throw a fit if NJA had to stick them on the airlines vs. their normal ride. I'd mostly worry about a Republican dominated government not allowing a strike to happen. If it does, then so be it. I'll enjoy the time off and get some productive stuff done around the house.

As for upgrades, if after my 2 year contract is up the Captains seat is still years away then I can look at other options. One good thing about NJA is I don't have to resign my US Airways seniority. I'm about 300 numbers from recall there so if they survive I'll eventually have a job to go back to. There's also the Mid-Atlantic division flying EMB-170's and soon 190's. I'll be able to hold a Captain's slot there later this year and they have to hold it for me if I'm under contract with another employer. Seniority is based on my Airways DOH so I don't lose any by waiting. So if Airways makes it I'll have plenty of options down the road, if they don't then NetJets is the best place I've found to hang out.

I clean litter boxes in a house with 6 cats so dumping a porti-potty is no big deal. Again, I'd rather do it myself than make umpteen radio calls trying to get someone else to do it.

I've been through a number of contract negotiations and these urination contest between labor and management are typical in heated contract talks. Things will get back to normal after a new contract is signed. If they want me to to drive the 15-20 minutes from my house and sit at the FBO or terminal, that's fine. At least I'll be collecting the $1.60/hr per diem and I know plenty of places I can grab some sleep.

My friend who encouraged me to apply at NJA is a new hire still in training, but I've had a chance to talk to a few other pilots who've been here 2-3 years. They gave me a balanced view of what to expect. I'm not going to totally drink the company kool-aid, I think I know enough to make an informed decision.

I realize most NJA pilots are very unhappy with the company right now and morale is low and you're trying to discourage pilots from coming here. But for some of us it could be the right thing, at least until something better comes along. If it makes you feel better, at the job fair last Saturday Derinda and Jerry sometimes reminded me of the Maytag repairman. They were standing at their booth all by themselves for a good part of the 3 hours I was there. Other airlines had long waiting lines.

Hmm..as for the physical, we'll I'm 48 and am no stranger to the "wiggly finger". I've even had the big "Roto-Rooter" done to remove a polyp. So that doesn't concern me. In fact......I think.......just maybe.....I'm starting to like it! ;-)

AirBear

Gee makes me want to work there, he is making 27k a year look like 60k.
Typing this As I sip on some Kool Aid.
Dont forget when you service the lav, be careful of those logs sticking up.

J3

Latest resources

Back