Questions for JB pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

commuterguy

Hi guys, had a few quick questions if anyone has time.

If you guys are say JFK based, and while in JFK your flight gets cancelled along with your overnight, does the company provide you with a hotel in JFK?

In regards to someone coming on board in the very near future, would it be safe to say that the recent announcement of all the new flying will equate to shorter time spent on reserve?

Hi guys, had a few quick questions if anyone has time.

If you guys are say JFK based, and while in JFK your flight gets cancelled along with your overnight, does the company provide you with a hotel in JFK?

In regards to someone coming on board in the very near future, would it be safe to say that the recent announcement of all the new flying will equate to shorter time spent on reserve?

No hotel in base except in extreme circumstances, and even then its totally at the discrecion of the company. You will need a crashpad for I'd say at least a year or two, and even then most keep one for insurance. You don't want to be the guy balled up on the crew room sofa in his jammies and eye covers. Just get a pad for goodness sake.

The new flying is mostly announcing the direction of where the limited growth we are getting is going. Its not "additional growth" so time on reserve will be about the same regardless of if that flying was out of LA or NY. The 190 being a smaller fleet and getting more airframes over the next 2 years may (may) make it the quickest fleet to a line, though it always depends on when in a particular fleet's hiring wave you get on.

Good luck!

I 2nd what IronCity said.

Get the crashpad. It will lower your stress level. I hate crashpads. But I keep mine in my back pocket because it eliminates the stress of missing a commute or busting a pairing and having to find someplace to sleep.

I also wouldn't expect any change to reserve times.

I am on the 190 and 4mo on res to hold a line, the 320 guys from my class are looking at July or August. But as Iron City said: Depends when you get hired. (FYI Hired Aug 07, hit the line in Nov) Good Luck

Are there any airlines/contracts out there that provide a hotel in that situation?

We do get full pay protection for any cancellations, pairing changes, etc. Pretty good deal in that area.

JetBlue provides a hotel if your broken pairing results in reduced rest in domicile. Otherwise you are on your own. Sometimes during IROPs they will block off a bunch of rooms at hotels near JFK to take care of the crewmembers, I've had them give me a room in domicile before.

I cant believe this thread has gone on this wrong without this being said, so here goes:

JB will give you a hotel room, but you have to clean it yourself before you check out.

There, better. Proceed...

FWIW, Ive gotten about 3 hotels out of them in 3+ years but its been unsched reduced rest type/IROP senario.

Continental and ExpressJet did. It was nice because once you held a line that you could live with, you could get ride of the pad. At JB you kind of need it.

I was having trouble commuting up to JFK from ATL on snowy night...up north. CXLd northbound flights was making it tough for me to get up there...I called sked. and said I probably wouldn't make JFK, but maybe BOS...but would need a hotel. After some discussion about it...they said okay. Saaweet.

BUT...I didn't make that BOS flight either...soooo, went down to MCO just shy of midnight (couldn't get north the next morning either from ATL)...grabbed an xtra crew room at our layover hotel. This particular scheduler was awesome...adjusted my rsv duty for the next day so I could get some day sleep...only did 6 hours rsv...1800-0000.

Anyway, sometimes they will really work with you. Even on bad days with no favors...it's still way better than ASA was....way way better.

Latest resources

Back