• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Questions for Army Aviators

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Good luck, hope it works out for you. I also wanted to join the TX Guard, and was trying to get an age waiver, however at 36 it was not going to happen without prior military.

Bluefly, if you have a Bachelors you can get a waiver, if you are willing to go commissioned. I had a buddy in my OCS class last year who got an age waiver w/ a flying unit in MS. It really up to each unit. If you can find one to go to bat for you & the state want it, you will get it! Since the nation is several thousand officers short in the NG you have some negotiating power. Warrant officer is more difficult, they just fly mainly, don't have to deal w/ the b/s.

For you guys that have watched "Top Gun" or "Firefox" to many times, its not much difference from active & reservist. Everybody goes to the sandbox & there is so much more to military life than flying, it's a real commitment. The likelyhood its not what you thought is very high. Make sure its what you really want to do.

Also, try; www.baseops.net there are openings all over the country, mainly airforce, but some army. Call them, Apply, you'll know what your going to fly & where before you ever sign your life away.

Work the system, or it will work you!

Warrant officer is more difficult, they just fly mainly, don't have to deal w/ the b/s.

I like to not deal with the BS, but do you think getting a pilot slot will be much easier going the OCS route in the guard?

Who the hell do I talk to about doing that? Will my current recruiter be able to help me with that? I feel like my recruiter doesn't have the best knowledge on this topic.

no recruiter! If you want to go commissioned, go to the unit you want. Talk to an officer. Rest assured, they are probably short commissioned guys. Tell him what you want, and see if he'll work w/ you. I did 5 yrs in the Marines; crewcheif on ch-53, go out in 99 & got a bachelors. Walked in the local NG unit & told the Capt I wanted to go WOFT, had 5 years active duty, over 1000 hrs crewing 53s in the corps, & a pvt & instrument rating. He said no, "we have several NCOs here that have earned to the right to go as a warrant to flight school, but if you'll commission, I'll guarantee a flight slot here." Couldn't argue w/ that...
Turns out the state was 320 officers & unless its changed most, if not all other states in the same boats (begs the question, why are all the officers getting leaving or unhappy? its probably for a reason)

I have no idea what to do my recruiter is going to kick my a$$ tomorrow when I talk to him. If someone can call me and help me out with this just pm and I'll give you my number. I'm graduating in 2 weeks from college and I'm now even more confused about what I can do thanks everyone.

Lynx, Make a decision a go w/ it. No one knows you better than you! watch what the recruiter tell you, if you don't like him or don't believe him, go to another one. Be responsible for your own packet, isn't there a checklist. Or sack up & call NG unit tomorrow & talk w/ an officer, preferably MAJ or above. Whats the worst that can happen? He could yell or laugh at you, If you join, there will be alot of that!

Hell, if I were you, i'd stay in college, go to grad school & do ROTC. Let the military pay for it. You could see if you really liked.

Lastly, don't let anyone make your decisions for you!

I have no idea if they have made a packet for me or not. I think I'm getting the run around treatment. I'm guna call my schools Army ROTC unit and talk to them about grad school or getting another degree.

I know for a fact that the Army reserves is low on Warrants. On baseops.net or gov there is a number for a Major Gray. call him and see what happens. he's the guy doing the recruiting. Good luck and dont take no for an answer!

Latest resources

Back