Questions about NIFA Nationals...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
CaravanMan said:
Okay guys, gotta fill me in...what did SJSU do?? I've been outta school since December '01, so I've missed a lot of this stuff.

BTW...Toto 1 at SLN...Lmao! :)

Well...the team didn't do anything in particular that would have precipitated this action by SJSU. It is pretty complicated, but in a nutshell.....

1. The California State University system adopted a by-law or some kind of rule prohibiting students from flying on anything other than scheduled airlines as a result of the crash involving the Cal Poly football team back in the '60's. I think John Madden was either on the flight or was at least associated with the team somehow and that is why he doesn't fly to this day. This is also why the Aviation department did not offer flying courses, nor could we get any college credit for flight lessons.

2. deleted

3. For the past several years the school has been trying, although they will not publicly admit, to close down the Aviation department.

4. The university risk manager was contacted by...let's just say "the fat bit(h". (SJSU guys, you know who I'm talking about). The risk manager told the team that they did not have the support of the university and couldn't compete as a representative of the school. This was 3-4 days before the regional competition that SJSU was hosting! Fine. They would compete as a seperate entity. The university risk manager then contacted NIFA and revoked the team's membership.

5. Since regional competitions are covered under the NIFA insurance policy and the team was no longer a member, SJSU was unable to compete in the regional competition and therefore couldn't even qualify for nationals, even if the revocation were reversed between regionals and nationals.

6. The coach for the SJSU team has worked tirelessly on the situation. Right now the school seems to hold all the cards. Interested parties have tried to get NIFA to ease up on the rule that states the team must be supported by the school to get it to read "associated with the school". From what I understand, that issue seems to be stalled.

There are other issues involving school politics. You can view the team's website at:

http://www.sjsuflightteam.com

Cheers, and good luck to the San Jose team!

GP

Last edited:
BoilerUP said:
WMU guys told us if they had scored under the old system, we'd have tied them for 3rd. Not bad for a bunch of card-playing socialites

Yeah, would have tied for 3rd. You're right, you guys and SIU both had a hell of a showing, Congrats to all.

Illini Pilot said:
True story: Kid from the "host school of the 2003 nationals" started sobbing and crying after he didn't win Top Pilot...

You gotta be spoofing me!!! Thats funny, I'm sure the guy that won will get a good laugh...

Sycamore SAm said:
I used to be on the ISU flight team but I think we were the last team to compete. Are they just hosting it or are they competing?
Sam, When were you on the ISU Flight Team? Did you make that "Long Distance" trip to a regionals back in 98?

Thanks for the info GP. That's a sucky deal for those guys. Best of luck SJSU!

Anyone for a game of pennies? :D

GP those memories are bringing a tear to my eye because I'm laughing so hard. I still remember the nationals when, during the 3 mile tow after landings, Wally comes up in her golf cart and yells "WHO'S IN CHARGE HERE?!?!" Without hesitation all of us, including yours truly, pointed directly at you. Man that was a good chewing she gave you (we had things like "sex mom" and other non-pc stuff written on our aircraft). I had my Wally chewing a few years before when I got busted for poppin' a wheelie on the taxiway. Good times.

Another great memory from that year: Driving back in a mini-van packed with guys, the driver and front passengers had their shirts off (long story) and we had a dildo stuck to the dashboard. The looks on the faces of the people that drove by were priceless! I think we even scarred a few people for life.

My advice: Don't study too much, make new friends, and poke fun of ERAU Prescott and UND at every opportunity. :p

"Who put toothpaste on my door handle!"

:beer:

Skeezer

Last edited:
Illini Pilot said:
True story: Kid from the "host school of the 2003 nationals" started sobbing and crying after he didn't win Top Pilot...

I wonder if this was the same kid who started crying at the 2005 nationals when his fuel burn was off during the nav event.

Biggest memories (in no particular order) from 4 years on PUFT:

1. Watching Wally come into the concession area all puzzled because someone put "Radial Batch" in tape on their plane, then seeing SJSU come in laughing because Wally found their "Radial Biatch" sign

2. I think it was Illinois, can't remember for sure, but the regionals right after 9/11, they got a message drop container streamer wrapped around their landing gear strut, then got on the radio and told everyone they had a "bomb" stuck on their gear

3. Euchre!!!! Our coach always says he's never lost to a student, but he's lying, I've seen it happen.

4. Hey U of I, how did you enjoy the glitter in the air conditioning vents?

5. Three words: I love Loening

6. Spending 10 hours in a single day in a 150 flying from Indiana to UND, with a groundspeed in the upper 40s on the first leg. If I had heard one more Top Gun quote that day I would've killed someone.

7. Missing out on placing at nationals in nav my sophmore year because I was too accurate and flew right over the checkpoint, unable to see the symbol because it was directly underneath us.

Practice a couple hours a week for your events, do the best you can, have a good, light-hearted time. Good luck. I may have been a dork for doing it, but I loved every minute. Hey BoilerUP, I just won and lost

flyer172r said:
2. I think it was Illinois, can't remember for sure, but the regionals right after 9/11, they got a message drop container streamer wrapped around their landing gear strut, then got on the radio and told everyone they had a "bomb" stuck on their gear

7. Missing out on placing at nationals in nav my sophmore year because I was too accurate and flew right over the checkpoint, unable to see the symbol because it was directly underneath us.

2. MTSU at the Mufreesboro airport. That was hilarious....my first regionals, actually. And yes, it was UofI that did it....hahaha

7. Don't you hate it when that happens. Personally, I think the new GPS scoring is great.

ilinipilot: hows it going clown?

See you all wednesday at HUF!

Latest resources

Back