Question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

LewisU_Pilot

A CFII wants to jump in the sim and log some approaches. He is current. Can I as a CFI who is not current sit at the computer acting as instructor and sign his log book?

You only need to be current if you're PIC on the IFR flight plan. In this situation, you won't need a medical or be a CFII.

Are you a CFII?

If not, no. Currency isn't the issue. Qualification is. A CFI without an IA rating on the CFI certificate is not an "authorized instructor" with respect to instrument training/currency requirements that require an instructor.

If you are a CFII, sure you can. there's no currency required for instructing anything.

Last edited:
midlifeflyer said:
No.

(Amish - What PIC? What IFR flight plan. This is in a sim)

The guy is asking whether the CFI needs to be current to run the sim. obviously NOT. Currency is only required if you're the PIC on a flight plan under IFR, why isn't this clear to you?:rolleyes:

For his little sim session, the CFI does NOT have to have his 6 approaches, holding, tracking, etc. to run the SIM.

Amish RakeFight said:
The guy is asking whether the CFI needs to be current to run the sim. obviously NOT. Currency is only required if you're the PIC on a flight plan under IFR, why isn't this clear to you?:rolleyes:

For his little sim session, the CFI does NOT have to have his 6 approaches, holding, tracking, etc. to run the SIM.
you'll see my edit. I picked up that Lewis is not a CFI-I from another post and realized that it wasn't part of the question here.

I'm sure about the currency thing, but I don't think he needs to be a CFII. Shouldnt a CFI (not a CFII) be able to run the sim.

In an airplane he should be able to, as the CFI is acting as a safety pilot. keeping in mind the CFII is current. I'm thinking maybe a CFII should be the one running the sim, for it to be logged.

Last edited:
Look up the definition of "authorized instructor"

Unless you're going to argue that the CFII at the controls of the FTD/simulator is the authorized instructor "present" during the sim session, the other instructor must be a CFII in category.

If you're going to argue that the CFII at the controls of the FTD/simulator is the authorized instructor "present" during the sim session, then why have another CFI there at all -- and then there are both the legal interpretation and the spirit of that regulation about CFI self endorsements to consider...

Yeah, I answered that question a little too fast. It may be that a CFII would have to run the sim, but the FAR's arent too explicit on it.

LewisU-

I would say then that you'll need the CFII in order to be the person runningthe sim if he needs to log the approaches even if he's current and a CFII.

Latest resources

Back