Question.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

JetFumes

I received a dui 11 years ago. I was not a pilot at the time but took the chance to become one anyway. Since then I've become a regional airline captain, checkairman, now back to FO again. I have 5300 hrs with 2200 PIC and three types. I have been told in so many words that if you have a dui, then you don't stand a chance at places like JetBlue, AirTran, Southwest, or any international carrier. I have a college degree. Considering a career change as I see others getting the call while my phone stays quiet. So do I cut and run or press on in the hopes that my time will come. Any advice is welcome. Thanks!

Most companies won't know about your DUI until after they offer you an interview. Keep it a secret until you have to tell them! When asked about your past transgressions in the interview turn it into a positive. Tell them how you have grown positively from this event and have become an excellent and more responsible pilot because of it. If that is true they will see it in your eyes and flying accomplishments as well as respect your honesty. It may not work everybody, but it will sooner or later.

A friend of mine was hired at Jet Blue a few years ago with a DUI on his record (18 years in the past) when hiring was even tighter than it is now. He put a positive spin on it and got the job. Interviewers are people too and like those who can learned from their mistakes. Best of luck to you and stay with the profession you love.

I don't think I would take the advice to keep a dui/dwi a secret. They will find out eventually and then will have every right to withdrawl that job offer if you lied. I would be honest about your mistake and I wouldn't sugar coat it. Either way you say it or look at it, it's a dui/dwi and I'm sure they will be able to tell you are trying to sugar coat it. My advice would be to take responsibility and work hard to have everything else out-shine that mistake. I also have a friend who's been hired w/ one.

Don't lie about it but I know for a fact that Southwest has hired folks with long ago DUIs so it isn't a deal breaker. Look you are an airline captain, it hasn't stopped you yet... don't let it.

canyonblue737 said:
Don't lie about it but I know for a fact that Southwest has hired folks with long ago DUIs so it isn't a deal breaker. Look you are an airline captain, it hasn't stopped you yet... don't let it.

Amen my brotha!

just be upfront about it when the time comes. dont be in a hurry to call them and tell them about it. there will be a time and a place in the process where you will have to give this information. thats the time to give the info. at the interview, they will surely ask you about it. make sure you have learned something from the event. dont leave them with the impression it was just an inconvenience on your way home. dont make a big deal out of it either. it happend, you learned your lesson and you moved on in a better direction.

Creamer said:
Most companies won't know about your DUI until after they offer you an interview.

If I remember correctly (and if I haven't I am sure I will be corrected) a DUI/DWI is a felony offense. And I believe every major app asks the question if you have ever been convicted of a felony. So it would be pretty hard to keep it a secret until the interview.

What is important is what have you done since the incident? More tickets? Not so good. Squeeky clean? You're in good shape.

I don't think it is a deal breaker by any means, afterall it happened 11 years ago. Just remember people have been hired by doing worse so keep trying if flying is really what you want to do.

PurpleTail said:
I don't think it is a deal breaker by any means, afterall it happened 11 years ago. Just remember people have been hired by doing worse so keep trying if flying is really what you want to do.

You can murder your wife at my airline (allegedly), and still keep your job.

It might have been a deal-breaker if he was trying to get hired though.

Memphis: Burning Betrayal.
Aired on Thursday, December 2, 2004

Federal Express airline pilots Holly and Mike Mullins seemed to be flying high when they first married. But as they soon learned, marriage between pilots has its ups and downs. Bitter divorce proceedings between Holly and Mike came to a sudden end when Holly's body was found in a burned-out van. When Mike eventually went on trial for murder, all of Memphis waited breathlessly for the verdict. Find out if he got away with murder. Paul Winfield narrates. TVPG

I have never had one, but I would be surprised if a DUI is a felony. In PA where I live most people who recieve them are able to go through some kind of a ARD??? program(classes). I cannot imagine that would be the case if it was a felony.

As a former police officer in colorado, DUI is only a misdemeanor traffic, not criminal violation. Only a felony, or even criminal violation, if you hurt/kill somebody while driving drunk.

Latest resources

Back