Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Rich Man

OOOH, SHINY!!!!
Ok, here is a question tht i've been wondering for a while now, and I Have no idea, nor can I find anything sustainable in the FAR's or AIM.

I fly taildraggers, and they are so light and so slow. One day while I was cruising at a wopping 80 Kts (in a dive) and taking for ever and a day to get to where I was going, the idea came to mind.

Would it be possible to land in the beach... I mean legally, so I looked and looked and looked some more in the FAR/AIM for a regulation that says that I have to land in an airport, that I cannot land unless it is an airport.... but I could not find anything

If the A/C is slow enough for me to land.... well where ever I choose, without undue harn to anybody else, would it be legal to land outside of an airport? can anybody direct me to a place were I can back it up with a FAR or a Law of some sort?

Tks....

Ok, fire away!:D

Rich,

I have found nothing that precudes you from landing off airport. That is under Part 91. Part 121 and some Part 135 operations require operations to and from an airport. Your biggest problem will be getting permission from the land owner. There are many legal issues for them to deal with. Also do not forget your insurance policy. This will in all likelihood be more restrictive than the FAR's.

For all you nay sayers out there, remember 99 44/100% of all bush operators in Alaska and all the float plane and ski plane operators do not operate to and/or from airports or aerodromes.

I have operated from lakes, frozen and otherwise, logging roads, rivers, ponds, construction sites and beaches. The biggest thing you will need to keep in mind is knowing your landing area. Beaches are many times not the best place in the world to land. They tend to be soft. They also attract people, another hazard. If you mess up and turn your aircraft into a ball, it is possible the Feds will hit you will a 91.13 violation "Careless and Reckless". In short know your landing area and be careful.

Very True

Thats true, there is no set rule that says you have to land at an airport. You see alot of airports that are unapproved, meaning that some rural pilot took out his tractor and cut his own nice neat little runway accross the bean or corn field on his/her property. This is by no means an airport. Its just a runway. All it is in reality is a strip of unobstructed land. The catch is he/she happens to own this land and they can do what ever they want on it. Its perfectly legal however for these operations to go on.

Infact heres a interesting peice of information. I have heard that a pilot flying an aircraft may land on roads, as long as they don't disrupt the normal flow of traffic. Pretty wild huh?

Like Rick said, finding permission to land on the property is probably going to be your hardest part.

I as well, would try to avoid landing on a beach. They are soft and the aircraft may very well flip. Also they aren't always as level as they need to be. They do attract people as well.

Fly safe,
J.

Also, your insurance policy will probably have a clause in it about off-airport landings. Any damage here and you are not insured.

>>>>>I have heard that a pilot flying an aircraft may land on roads, as long as they don't disrupt the normal flow of traffic.

That is true in Alaska, and may be true in other places. It would depend on state law though, and I bet there's a bunch of states which have statutes aginst it. Know the laws where you are.

>>>>I as well, would try to avoid landing on a beach. They are soft and the aircraft may very well flip.

Some are and some aren't. The beaches around Daytona and Ormond beach are about as flat and hard as a paved runway. The world land speed record trials used to be held there before Bonneville was discovered. I don't think it's legal to land htere though. Anyway, beaches come in all descriptions, and many make very good landing surfaces ..... telling which is which from the air is part of the challenge, though, and you're betting your airplane that you are right.

Regards

Landing off Airport

I've landed off aiport intentially once.

The State DOT was opening a new highway in our town and was having a big celebration with lots of local business support. The school I worked for wanted a plane on Display there. Talked to the DOT and FSDO, they said go for it.

Kinda neat to land on a brand new highway!

Beach

Well the beach I had in mind is not frequented by too many people, and is solid, really packed, I drove on it with my 3,000 Lbs car not long ago and thought and airplane that hardly weights some 2,000-2,500 should be fine, but I do see what you say about insurance and local law....

I know when gliders land off field they attract a lot of people, one time a friend landed his glider in a farmers field (he run out of fuel), and by the time he was out the cokpit and done unstraping his shute and all, police and the Fire Dept. rescue Tm. were already there....

It is kindda hard hiding, people who see an A/C coming down in areas where A/C usually don't will probably call for attention always!

Anyway, tks!

Rich!

I dont' know if this relates.

I've talked to a few helo pilots, They have mentioned landing next to gas stations, interstate rest areas. We even had a cobra land in a field out side of my High school some years ago.

I say if a helo can do it, Why not a fixed wing.

Helicopters at gas stations...

Speaking of that -- here's my favorite copter at a gas station.
http://furyhelicopters.com/images/PumpView.JPG

The beach idea sounds like a lot of fun -- but I would be very careful -- checking and double checking everything twice--landscape and terrain - weather peculiarities- wildlife and local inhabitants. The place may be deserted until that crucial moment.
At this stage with my low hours, I personaly wouldn't do it at all.

Have fun
May the camel of prosperity spread it's fodder upon your beach.
Shaun

Latest resources

Back