• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Question on AAI Ops at Smaller airports

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
IMO the AAI aircraft will become a lot more productive. Greater than 45 minute turn times (save the -800), red eyes, CDO, ... are a thing of the past.

ATL will probably experience a 50% increase in gate utilization, tying in the ATL-east-west routes.

There will probably be a small reduction in the smaller markets that AAI currently serves. I think anyone can look at a combined map and make some decent guesses as to which cities are probably close to being chopped.

The seasonal / non-daily service is new to SWA. GK will probably take a little time with this new concept before making a hard decision. If it makes cents, he'll keep the service, otherwise, markets will adjust to standard SWA service or be dropped. I've read he was looking at how Allegiant serves as a possible future business shift (for smaller markets), so non-daily service may apply for those smaller markets. This may segue well into smaller near-international markets.

He's mentioned 70 -800s as a minimum of new aircraft. Why get them ETOPS equipped? HI is in our near future. Hopefully he buys the bigger engine so we can carry some freight; maybe start AK service as well. I would not be surprised if the first -800 we get ends -700 deliveries. 200 -800s in 5 - 8 years would not surprise me, hopefully they are not all replacement aircraft. :beer:

GK has a habit of over-expecting (like the 15 ROIC); however, he has mentioned in the past that he wants SWA to own 40% of the domestic market. Not positive how he expects to win that much of the domestic market, again hopefully it'll be via organic growth.

What is the natural progression after controlling such percentages of domestic travel? Far international service. The -800 will not be that aircraft, so IMO, a larger efficient airplane is in our mid to long term plan. SWA will be a very different airline in 10 - 20 years, and for the aircrew who work for them, they will be very well off.

The future of SWA is very bright. I know most people say a fair SLI is one where everyone is pissed, I disagree. This is different; if we are going to grow and prosper as SWA pilots, we need to move forward from this with the overwhelming majority happy. We are all at a watershed moment. How we go from here affects many of us for the rest of our careers; dare I say the future of Southwest Airlines is at hand.

717Capt....thks for the replies and to the others who have chimed in with useful info. One thing I've got to do is learn some new city pairings!!!

The issue of smaller cities will be interesting to see. SWA has for sometime been advertising for more part-time employees and with some of the provisions in some of the ramp contracts about allowing contract employees with stations with minimum flights, the issue of what constitutes "too small" based upon historical precedents may be changed and more in line with what AAI has.

The "incentive bonuses" from local municipalities and businesses would be more likely some might argue with SWA's arrival and their national marketing scheme.

No doubt some small cities will be dropped, just hard to predict which ones. One city that was mentioned, RIC, I think will remain. It was a rare weakness on Herb's part when he "promised" RIC would be our next new city in fall 2001; that went away after 9/11 and SWA has looked there but subsequently went into ORF instead. I would think RIC would remain as long as they can generate a decent load.

Someone mentioned a/c utilization; I believe AAI has a higher utilization rate than SWA right now but has more pilots per airplane than SWA.

The expected increase at ATL will be interesting to see, particularly toward the west toward cities that currently only have DAL, UAL and/or Alaska Air service....expect to see those fares go down I would suspect.

Cruncher has the best closing line of anyone recently....well said!!

717Capt....thks for the replies and to the others who have chimed in with useful info. One thing I've got to do is learn some new city pairings!!!

The issue of smaller cities will be interesting to see. SWA has for sometime been advertising for more part-time employees and with some of the provisions in some of the ramp contracts about allowing contract employees with stations with minimum flights, the issue of what constitutes "too small" based upon historical precedents may be changed and more in line with what AAI has.

The "incentive bonuses" from local municipalities and businesses would be more likely some might argue with SWA's arrival and their national marketing scheme.

No doubt some small cities will be dropped, just hard to predict which ones. One city that was mentioned, RIC, I think will remain. It was a rare weakness on Herb's part when he "promised" RIC would be our next new city in fall 2001; that went away after 9/11 and SWA has looked there but subsequently went into ORF instead. I would think RIC would remain as long as they can generate a decent load.

Someone mentioned a/c utilization; I believe AAI has a higher utilization rate than SWA right now but has more pilots per airplane than SWA.

The expected increase at ATL will be interesting to see, particularly toward the west toward cities that currently only have DAL, UAL and/or Alaska Air service....expect to see those fares go down I would suspect.

Cruncher has the best closing line of anyone recently....well said!!

Hey brother, I may be wrong but when GK stated "AT aircraft once optimized will generate additional revenue". So, I assume and we all no what that means, AT aircraft are underutilized. Plus our aircraft fly 13.6 hours a day. I guess the red eyes on the AT side help.

Its not our Aircraft that are under utilized, it is our crews. For what ever reason our management team found it better to utilize airplanes over crew. Not sure why. Most if not all pilots here would love to fly more hrs per day and less days per month.

You'll get your wish. I just finished a 3-day that paid 27. Higher tfp trips are becoming more common. I was just talking to an FO this morning, he had three 3-day pairings that paid 26 (they must have been AMs). I know money is not everything, but when you can make a grand a day and still have a known schedule (vice the VJA gig), ... well in Borat slang "... very nice."

Here's just a snapshot of an average line dude (mine actually):
month: tfp / block / Days off
Oct: 115 / 78 / 14 (had 3 days of training)
Nov: 92 / 68 / 17
Dec: 100 / 58 / 21 (sick for a 3-day)
Jan: 92 / 77 / 17

I am by no means a varsity player, just a normal commuter. Additionally, I cruise easy the last quarter of the year, 401k is maxed out (16.5k), I don't pick up around the holidays (have little ones in the house), kid's sports are in full swing, school volunteering goes through the roof, .... Next 3 quarters will be in the 115 / 85 / 15 off area (the $150/hr area).

-C

PS the numbers you read on APC regarding pay is a little low IMO. Block hours is really the only commodity we sell as pilots. From my (5 year FO) Nov schedule: $150 / hr; Jan (scheduled): $132 / hr. When the month is over, this number will be higher (less block actually flown). Oct & Dec are not listed because they are more difficult to determine (from the training & sick pull). If you heard what the varsity guys were paid, you'd ******************** yourself. Guys averaging over 180 trips / month, even some averaging over 200 / month (for the year). No life, but they do pay a lot in taxes. ;)

Hope you all have a safe and happy holiday.

Its not our Aircraft that are under utilized, it is our crews. For what ever reason our management team found it better to utilize airplanes over crew. Not sure why. Most if not all pilots here would love to fly more hrs per day and less days per month.

I see. Well those days are coming to a end brother. Qol is nice at the ol swa.

Latest resources

Back