Question fot Citation guys

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Choppy said:
You have to be joking right! Why on earth you you want to reduce thrust on a Citation??? That is the best joke I have heard all week!!

....Or you could have given him a respectable answer rather than taking your pay-cut anger out on him.

Axel, sorry I dont know anything on the subject, but it looks like some previous posts to mine have answered your question.

GulfstreamSDL said:
....Or you could have given him a respectable answer rather than taking your pay-cut anger out on him.

Axel, sorry I dont know anything on the subject, but it looks like some previous posts to mine have answered your question.

Let's see... you don't have a dog in the fight and you want to come on here and bash me! I left my airline a long time ago for a fortune 50 company and have made my "Pay-cut" many times over! Thanks for your great insight to let him know that previous posts may answer his question!! I'm sure when he saw your post he went straight to it and did not read any of the other ones!!

Reduced Thrust

Although I don't fly a citation, I am not an airline pilot either and we use reduced thrust settings all the time. The only stipululations are every 60hrs we have to do a max blast t/o, or if runway conditions exist that require it.

Choppy said:
Let's see... you don't have a dog in the fight and you want to come on here and bash me! I left my airline a long time ago for a fortune 50 company and have made my "Pay-cut" many times over! Thanks for your great insight to let him know that previous posts may answer his question!! I'm sure when he saw your post he went straight to it and did not read any of the other ones!!

You're right, I dont have a "dog" in the fight. But you also had no reason to reject his question and take it upon yourself to shame the guy/gal.
If I had time in citations, I would answer to the thread question, but that is not the case. But you do supposedly have citation time...so much that it is "funny" when people aren't educated in the manner that you are and you chose to post NOTHING factual or insightful for the first thread reply. Good job.
Does moving the excess weight in your head to the back of your citation give you greater speed and range??

I've flown a CE550, 560 (encore) and CE650.

The 550, you don't EVER want to take off an anything less than absolute
MAXIMUM. They are underpowered.

The 650 overall has better power, but on a hot day (over 80F) you'll want
every pound of thrust that runway hog can give you.

As for the Encore, I don't remember any reduce power settings. The extra
power sure was nice.

Corporate airplanes are designed for a lower utilization than airliners.
10,000hr -vs- 100,000. Structure, systems, engines are designed
accordingly.

It always boggles my mind how some captains want to reduce cost for
their employer by making up reduced power takeoffs and the like.
IF you don't overtemp , the engines will be ok.

And don't get me started on piston pilots (C-400 series) who "save" the
engines by reduced power t/o's.

CE

CrimsonEclipse said:
I've flown a CE550, 560 (encore) and CE650.

The 550, you don't EVER want to take off an anything less than absolute
MAXIMUM. They are underpowered.

The 650 overall has better power, but on a hot day (over 80F) you'll want
every pound of thrust that runway hog can give you.

As for the Encore, I don't remember any reduce power settings. The extra
power sure was nice.

Corporate airplanes are designed for a lower utilization than airliners.
10,000hr -vs- 100,000. Structure, systems, engines are designed
accordingly.

It always boggles my mind how some captains want to reduce cost for
their employer by making up reduced power takeoffs and the like.
IF you don't overtemp , the engines will be ok.

And don't get me started on piston pilots (C-400 series) who "save" the
engines by reduced power t/o's.

CE

Thank You! At least somenone on here sees the humor and the light!

I need to make sure I put "Challenger" into my name so that everyone will know what type of airplane I fly like GulfstreamSDL!! i might even include a picture!!

The question was: "Does Cessna publish the numbers?" I appreciate you all taking the time to answer, thanks.

Choppy said:
...At least somenone on here sees the humor and the light!...
There is a certain irony in this statement. If you uncurl that lip a little, Choppy, those headaches will go away and your landings will probably improve.

Everyone else: thanks again for taking the time to answer.

Last edited:
Cost Reduction?

To, uh, reduce the costs when hot section/overhaul time comes around?

I flew a trip once as a rent-a-pilot where the Captain refused to check the T/Rs before takeoff (REQUIRED by FOM) because his company SOP said this would save on mx cost. He did, however, push the power to the redline. He also got upset with me for arranging an oxygen service at the home base because he couldn't see spending the money when the gauge was still a millimeter above minimum.

Next time I got a call from this outfit, I "had a prior commitment" even though I was spending all my time scouring the want ads.

reduced thrust

Choppy said:
You have to be joking right! Why on earth you you want to reduce thrust on a Citation??? That is the best joke I have heard all week!!

Actually, there are many times where one can reduce thrust and it will help the enginge and not compromise safety. The books aren't out there on the Cessna series, but one could go through the process. On hot days at high altitude I've seen some temps getting up close to redline. If you have no passengers on board and you're at DIA with lot of runway.... it could help. On the L-1011 we had to do it or we would overtemp. It wasn't an issue on the Boeing's with the pratt, but it still offered lower temps... and it's temperature that hurts the engine. For Fadec engines the manufacture sets up the limiting factor, so it's all imaginary anyway. They could get more thrust out of most engines out there, but they don't. It's a balance.

And you're right, there are many variables that have to be met at the airlines... but they are obvious... not wet, not with a tailwind, not with LLWSA... etc

Regards,
Scott

Axel said:
The question was: "Does Cessna publish the numbers?" I appreciate you all taking the time to answer, thanks.

Not on the 500 or 600 series.

If it's not published, don't do it.

BTW the engines on the Encore are FADECS. (I love that airplane)

As for lowering power settings due to temps, that is normal procedure
(then call maint)

I'm going to be blunt here. If the owner is scratching for money so much,
that he/she wants you you make up procedures, the owner needs to get
a smaller/cheaper airplane.

Lawn Darting, or runway overruns are also expensive, more so than a
hot section.

"But Mr. FAA, Sir. Making up procedures happens all of the time."

(You know the number of that truck driving outfit? TruckMaster?
I think I'm gonna need that....)

CE

I'd fly the Encore for the rest of my life if given a choice.

Latest resources

Back