Question fot Citation guys

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Axel

Typo monster got me in the thread title. (blush/grin)

Here is the question for the Citation guys: Is there a provision for reduced thrust takeoffs in the performance calculations for the 550/560 series? Thanks.

Last edited:
Oh MY!

You have to be joking right! Why on earth you you want to reduce thrust on a Citation??? That is the best joke I have heard all week!!

Choppy said:
... Why on earth you you want to reduce thrust on a Citation???...

To, uh, reduce the costs when hot section/overhaul time comes around?

Thanks anyway.

Axel said:
To, uh, reduce the costs when hot section/overhaul time comes around?

Thanks anyway.

That's the problem! All you know is that airliners have reduced thrust T/O and you think since you fly a jet you should do them as well! The pratts that are on your aircraft are made to go to max power for a period of time every takeoff. Reducing you power on takeoff is doing nothing but increasing your risk of running off the runway or not making 2nd segment climb! Reduce thrust at the airlines is used because the aircraft are on a more demanding schedule and have a far more time frame between overhauls! The only time we could use reduce thrust was when me met many different variables. These numbers are not published because it won't make a difference in 3500 hours!

Most reputable companies participate in some kind of maintenance service program (MSP) unless they have a number of airplanes and a large mainenance staff. I'm not aware of a 500 series airframe that has DEECS or FADEC which means there are N1 numbers published for all flight conditions that will protect the engines.

Actually, no. I do not fly a Citation. If I did, I could have just looked it up myself, and would have. The question was presented to me, I did not have the answer, so I thought I'd ask some 550/560 people. Instead I get a Boeing/f-15/650 guy with many incorrect assumptions, an attitude and nothing constructive. The question was not directed to you, Choppy, but again, thanks anyway.

Thank you for the straight answers, xcrew and Hugh.

Last edited:
Why Cessna hasn't come up with some reduced thrust settings is beyond me... I agree, there are times when they are appropriate, especially in the Encore. 2nd stage climbs aren't an issue unless conditions are BOTH heavy and hot. Most days, I'm retracting the flaps before I cross the departure end of a 5000' runway.

That said, there are actually very few days when we actually have the time to set takeoff power before we get up to rotation speed- it just comes that quick. Usually we aim for about 635-650 ITT for takeoff (depending on OAT), and pull the power back to 600 ITT as soon as a climb is stabilized (typically between "gear up" and "flaps up.")

Reduced Thrust

I have never heard of anyone using reduced thrust takeoffs on the Citation 550/560--- there probably certain peramiters(sp?) where it is usable, but again I have never heard of operators with those aircraft using reduced thrust.

Latest resources

Back