Question for US Air and AWA Pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
BeCareful,

Now that we're finger pointing you Us Airways guys would be the original "We'll do anything to keep flying, aka, Give up our pensions voluntarily and take a 50% paycut group!"

Your MEC flat out gave up the pensions with the threat of shutting the airline down and basically paved the way for the same events to happen at UAL and possibly DAl and NWA. You talk about upholding the profession yet Beebe led the charge in giving unprecedented concessions that will take decades to recover at best. I would argue that before your group gave up its retirement none of the other legacy managements would dream of that possibility.

Your pilot group made choices as well and it's pretty hipocritical of you to point your fingers at others as sell outs. I'm sure you'll point at our contract and say you were forced to match us bottom feeders but we represented such a small portion of the industry we did not really constitute a major threat.

Green -

Actually, Dave "labor friendly" Seigel specifically targeted AWA as a cost structure he said we needed to meet. AWA's hard times came long before U's, so you guys were naturally ahead of the game. (Of course, the only reason for that was that people used to pay big money to fly around the Northeast.....otherwise, I'm sure U would have been in bad shape a lot sooner.)

But I wholeheartedly agree that U ALPA caved in huge.

Terrible, terrible times we are all living through. Whether or not any of it was avoidable is a debate that will last the rest of our careers.

Of course, I didn't get to vote on any of the concessions....I'm only living with the aftermath.

BeCareful! said:
Crzi-

Talking to an AWA guy about scope and outsourcing is like counseling a prostitute on the merits of waiting for her wedding night. They were the original "hey, let 'em fly 90 seaters" group.

That's a great sound bite except that I believe it's lacking in fact. Prior to their BK, I believe AWA flew all of their express stuff with their own pilots in Dash-8's. I don't think they even had union representation then, just some kind of board called a FAB(??) or something. I'm not exactly clear on that, I'm sure someone else on this board is though. The main point though, is that no contract, no scope. I think they became ALPA in 1995 and the contract they had was doomed from the start since it was their first one and it was a BK contract which the U guys should know all about. They didn't any scope protection at all until their second contract (2003) and the 90 seaters was well out of the bag by then-pilot group wishes not withstanding. There's nothing to stop that from happening at a lot of similar LCC's, it's just that AWA was the one it did happen to. To say that AWA invited the 90 seaters is a crock.

Now that's kinda funny.

But what's better is the fact, you have the time to waste looking for such things, just to post on flightinfo....

Oh BTW.....DOH....hehehhe

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back