• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Question for turbo prop pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You own a P-3!? You fly around at sea level!?

I doubt anyone on this board owns a jet, and I've never seen a published Vne for a turbojet aircraft - merely Vmo/Mmo in accordance with FAR Part 25 which has significant structural load margins. I'd also venture to guess that if manufacturers did calculate and publish a Vne speed, many jet aircraft would have Vne speeds in excess of 400 knots.
I was thinking Vmo, which I have seen in most jets I have fllown like the DC-8, DC-9, and DA-20 at around 350 IAS. And true I do not own a P-3, but because of life long relationship with it, it more or less owns me as my favorite airplane.

Once cruising at around 390 TAS at FL280, center called me and said "You are overtaking slower jet traffic, do you want to left or right to pass that traffic". I wasn't a real jet jet it was a CE-500

True. If I flew a CE-500 I would probably still be able to consider myself a member of the hallowed order of "real pilots".

Maybe.

Of course, I consider it sacrilege to engage the autopilot in any mode other than cruise. Obviously, I spend most of my flight hours as an abominable heretic to "true aviating."

And good luck getting cleared for an NDB anywhere. Especially full approach.

What has the world come to?

Torque is the "money shot", if you do all the other stuff and don't get the money shot, everything else was just foreplay....

I don't think torque is work. You need motion for work.

Flying a turboprop IS work! Oh, those wonderful Brasilia V1-cuts in the sim. Slam your foot through the radome, crank in 10 units of rudder trim, and then scream for help as your leg starts shaking from exertion.

And flying THROUGH the weather, rather than above it.

For some strange reason, I miss the Brasilia and the ATR. I'd better not mention that at my next medical, I'll get submitted to a psychological exam!

Flying a turboprop IS work! Oh, those wonderful Brasilia V1-cuts in the sim. Slam your foot through the radome, crank in 10 units of rudder trim, and then scream for help as your leg starts shaking from exertion.

HA yes but only the best pilots fly jets of course.

For some strange reason, I miss the Brasilia and the ATR. I'd better not mention that at my next medical, I'll get submitted to a psychological exam!

Yeah, I miss certain aspects of turboprop flying too, but then I remember that most airplanes of my past were a lot like my ex girlfriends - they're much better in abstract than they ever were in reality.

Flying a turboprop IS work
Not the L-188/P-3, a real pilot's airplane, one lever per engine like a jet, unbelievable power, on a go-around you actually had to push forward it would climb so fast, light on the controls, and the crew sat three abreast it the cockpit all looking forward, F/E's panel on the overhead where everyone could see it.

Latest resources

Back