• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Question for turbo prop pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Real pilots fly props - down in the weather, in non-radar areas, etc.

Jet pilots are just a bunch of coffee-sipping dandies. And yes, I fly a jet.

I'll be a dandy sipping my coffee at FL 450 in the smoth air above the weather. And yes, i have many hours in a king air 90 flying in all that dogs!t wx.

Real pilots fly props - down in the weather, in non-radar areas, etc.

Jet pilots are just a bunch of coffee-sipping dandies. And yes, I fly a jet.

That's the point, get to the top where the air is crisp. And you get more women if you fly a jet, it's a scientific fact.

That's the point, get to the top where the air is crisp. And you get more women if you fly a jet, it's a scientific fact.
jets are for kids, real men are T-Prop drivers, I bet my T-Prop P-3 will run away from any of your jets at S.L. , anyone got a jet with a Vne of 407 IAS?

jets are for kids, real men are T-Prop drivers, I bet my T-Prop P-3 will run away from any of your jets at S.L. , anyone got a jet with a Vne of 407 IAS?

Doesn't count if the wings twist off at 340.

Doesn't count if the wings twist off at 340.

Not in the ole days when the airframes only had a couple thousand hours on them. I saw 400 and it wasn't even max continuous power. I have only had a wing come off on takeoff. Never in flight

Torque is not Power!

Torque (in ft*lbs) X RPM / 5252 = Horsepower. If you are running a constant power (fuel flow) and you pull the propeller rpm down the torque will go up, but the airplane performance will not change since you have not changed the horsepower.

Structural engineers care mainly about torque because that is what creates the forces on the gearboxes, shafts, etc. Performance engineers and Pilots care mainly about horsepower because that is what makes the airplane perform, but torque is important since that sets the structural limitations.

When someone states that their big V-8 powered car is fast because it has a lot of torque they are wrong. The car feels fast because the engine can make a lot of horsepower at low rpm. Torque is meaningless for performance. It is horsepower that moves the car, airplane, boat, etc.

Scott

You own a P-3!? You fly around at sea level!?

I doubt anyone on this board owns a jet, and I've never seen a published Vne for a turbojet aircraft - merely Vmo/Mmo in accordance with FAR Part 25 which has significant structural load margins. I'd also venture to guess that if manufacturers did calculate and publish a Vne speed, many jet aircraft would have Vne speeds in excess of 400 knots.

Latest resources

Back