Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Question for those who fly in/out DCA...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

AMRCostUnit

Back on the 737
When departing on north on 01, I have noticed some guys getting a hard right turn after takeoff instead of the left turn up the river and/or the 328 radial.

Having suggested to the (former Check Airman) Captain we give the quick right turn a try (it looks fun and would shorten up the MIA leg) he said it was NOT legal for us to do.

At AA we have special "Noise Abatement/Avoidance Procedures" and "Engine Failure on Takeoff/Missed Approach" on our 10-7 pages that do say "read and comply" but nothing specifically prohibiting a right turn out. I said as long as we don't overfly something we shouldn't and don't make too much noise what's the problem? He said the procedures are part of our op-specs and are mandatory. The back of the 10-9 page has the 328R as an obstacle departure for runway 01.

Has anyone run across this issue in past?

Thanks,

Unit
Right Turn Wanter

Left turn works in all scenarios. Why trick it up for a missile lock opportunity?

No thanks. Rwy 1 DCA is the NASCAR runway. Turn left, turn left, turn left, turn left.

What people seem to forget on the rwy 1 departures AND the river-visual etc. is that these are noise abatement procedures that just happen to have some prohibited areas on them. They are not prohibited-area avoidance procedures.

The idea is to avoid flying over Roslyn (USA Today building on the west bank). That means you can fly over the ENTIRE river.

If you're on the river visual, if you widen out towards the east bank, it requires a nice shallow, passenger friendly turn to final. (vs. the combat approach that people use if they hug the west bank out of some misplaced fear that they'll be shot-down if they venture even a little closer to the monuments)

Departing on 1? Climb to a safe altitude - 400 feet works well, then intercept the 328 degree radial or, if it is visual, follow the centerline of the river.

The only time I've seen an easterly turn is when someone departs off 4 or 15. Who was making the hard right turn, RJ/tprop operators or somebody flying bigger equipment?

BoilerUP said:
The only time I've seen an easterly turn is when someone departs off 4 or 15. Who was making the hard right turn, RJ/tprop operators or somebody flying bigger equipment?

I have seen a USAirways Airbus do the right turn off 1.

Yup, flying US DCA-LGA a couple months ago we took a hard right almost immediately after becoming airborne off Runway 1. My three flights from DCA since then (PIT, BOS, LGA) have all been left turns after departing from 1.

I think it's the Anacostia One DP, if I'm not mistaken. I DHD'd up to LGA once on the USAir Shuttle, and they did it. I chatted with the Captain afterwards, and he said at Airways, only the 'Bus can do it at a light weight. Hope that answers your question.

Snaab

I've had a Captain show me and have shown another Captain. Saves about 12 minutes going to MIA. We don't have a published right turn departure. We just ask tower for a right turn out. If something goes wrong I suppose you'd get your name up in bright lights (and missle lock) though. I think I'll just stick with the NASCAR (that's funny, BTW) thing and "turn LEFT..."

I was just wondering if anyone had any insight into the legalities and/wisdom of such antics. I'll filter this through the Puzzle Palace down in DFW and post my findings.

Unit
Reformed DCA Right-Turner

I have done the right turn off 1 many times in the 170 both at Rep and MDA - it was a former F100 CA that showed it to me at MDA. It cuts time if you going NE to PHL or say NY or BOS and can also cut time for thoes heading south to FL. Its no problem just normal TO then they give you a 90 or 60 degree heading which takes you up the Anacosta then you'll be vectored past Andrews and on you way faster the normal up the river. If your in the right seat as you fly up the Anacosta look down at the north side of the helo pad at the NAS and see the T-28 at the gate entrance.

Just make sure its not hot out and or your not heavy or you will wind up making a right turn over the capital building. Personaly in the 170 I'll do if for TO weights of 65,000 to 70,000 or under (83,000 gross) depending on the temp.

BenderGonzales said:
What people seem to forget on the rwy 1 departures AND the river-visual etc. is that these are noise abatement procedures that just happen to have some prohibited areas on them. They are not prohibited-area avoidance procedures.

Then why in the clearance does the controller state "cleared via the Northwest P-56 aviodance procedures"?

Latest resources

Back