• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Question for those of you who fly in or out JFK

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Best thread I've seen on Flight Info EVAR!
atcloser.... I doubt you will notice much of a difference from the 320's when the new procures go into effect. We can do prettymuch anything you ask and I always manage to be pretty much stable by 1000' agl. In the bus, 180 knots is really easy to keep until about 1500 agl. Anything more than that and it gets really challenging because of flap speeds and not having enough drag to slow down quickly without almost leveling off.

Since we are on the topic of how to help each other, how about getting a full time metering freq. for JFK ground? Call metering, and then monitor ground and wait for a call. That way we aren't stepping all over each other trying to get our name in the hat. This one change would do WONDERS for everyone!

J32 driver, thanks for the info about the a320, ever since they took the FAM program away, many of us have tons of questions that go unanswered about your operation.

I dont know anything about the metering freq or even how to get that in the works. Thats all up to JFK Tower, and being that I work at the TRACON, which is located about 20 miles NE of JFK Airport, I have no knowledge about it. I do know that we use some rather sophisticated software (NOT, haha) called DSP, departure spacing program or something like that. It supposedly sequences the departures on the ground to make getting in trail restrictions to the NY Center easier to handle for the TRACON. For instance, it wont let 2 Robinsville depatures or 2 WAVEY departures go back to back. I have yet to see it be used to do anything of the sort, instead it basically just gives us a lineup for departures.

Glad I could be of help to all you, I am certainly learning a ton myself about your operation! Plus it gives me something to do at 345am when I cant sleep and have to be at the TRACON at 630am this morning getting ready for high winds, bad WX, and staggered ILS 4 approaches, etc etc.

Happy Thanksgiving all.

Last edited:
I thought that's what 121.9 is when it gets busy. .

Exactly... they only use metering when things go to he11 in a handbasket. If they would make the metering a full time operation I think it would help alot. Even when the airport is dead, it seems like there are 4 airplanes stomping all over each other trying to get a taxi clearance.

Latest resources

Back