• Start date
  • Watchers 17

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I think his point is, if your background were, say, a regional airline, you wouldn't say "I did 10+ years at a regional airline and have recently separated. Many of my fellow regional pilots are getting hired and I do not see any of them as "replacement workers." That sounds silly, but you see it a lot from military pilots.

I understand you are proud of your military service and thank you for it, but if you don't want to be the punchline to the old joke 'how do you know when a military pilot walks in a room?', you may want to keep a lower profile.

I see your point, and now that it's been brought up I'll watch for myself doing it. However, there is one huge difference between your regional example and the military experience. When you started at a regional did you have to sign a 8 year contract that was really more like a ten year commitment since your 8 years don't start counting until you are through with training. At the end of that 10 years did you seriously have to consider staying because of substantial financial incentives offered for staying, not to mention the decent pension they dangle in front of you for just 10 more years of work. Can you see how it is really a bigger decision for military types than just leaving a regional for a major.

These airlines got rid of a bunch of guys, then cut pay and compensation to an unbearable level. So unbearable that, when recalled, many of these guys would not return. But you guys come running with bells on. Doesnt that make you, at best, replacement workers? Isnt there another name for that?

You sound stupid. When an airline goes bankrupt and a judge is seeing over the deal, unions can't do much. Yes, pay was cut probably, but those airlines will eventually do better and wages will likely come back up, maybe not to the previous level, but higher. Some furloughed pilots may decide to stay at Airtran vs coming back to Delta or Northwest, but they will always wonder if they could attain part of what they had pre-9-11. It may get better for those airlines some day, or you can stay on your 717 or itty-bitty mini bus. But, comparing them to a skab is stupid.

Last edited:
These airlines got rid of a bunch of guys, then cut pay and compensation to an unbearable level. So unbearable that, when recalled, many of these guys would not return. But you guys come running with bells on. Doesnt that make you, at best, replacement workers? Isnt there another name for that?

The guys/gals that did not come back had a choice and they might have found something better while on furlough. You cannot blame them for that..they had the choice. Do you not meet qualifications of the ones hiring?
What makes this any of your business anyway.

Last edited:

Widebodies!

It's almost funny how many self-assigned FI airline career gurus look down on pilots actually wanting to work for a legacy carrier. It's simple: when you apply at a UAL/NWA/USA and the like you're not just looking at the current crappy contracts but at the future potential. Periodic furloughs aside, where will most (younger) pilots enjoy a secure career: regionals or legacies? It seems obvious to me.

I see your point, and now that it's been brought up I'll watch for myself doing it. However, there is one huge difference between your regional example and the military experience. When you started at a regional did you have to sign a 8 year contract that was really more like a ten year commitment since your 8 years don't start counting until you are through with training. At the end of that 10 years did you seriously have to consider staying because of substantial financial incentives offered for staying, not to mention the decent pension they dangle in front of you for just 10 more years of work. Can you see how it is really a bigger decision for military types than just leaving a regional for a major.

I wasn't trying to compare a regional career to a military career, though apparently you misunderstand the situation many regional pilots find themselves in. A 10 year regional captain faces much the same dilemma as someone who is "recently separated military". He (or she) likely makes a very good living has a good schedule and has a fairly stable position in the company (as stable as any position in an airline can be). To go to a 'major' he will have to give all that up on what amounts to a long term gamble. Will the regional pilot's career be better off if he moves on? The military pilot faces the same challenges. I digress because that really wasn't my point.

To understand my point you have to know the punchline...

How can you tell if a military pilot walks into a room?

...anyone?

It's almost funny how many self-assigned FI airline career gurus look down on pilots actually wanting to work for a legacy carrier. It's simple: when you apply at a UAL/NWA/USA and the like you're not just looking at the current crappy contracts but at the future potential. Periodic furloughs aside, where will most (younger) pilots enjoy a secure career: regionals or legacies? It seems obvious to me.

What you say is true in many cases (mine included), but for many long time regional pilots it simply doesn't make sense to go to a 'legacy'. Different strokes.

Latest resources

Back