Question for the HR Gurus out there

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Thedude

I recently pulled a copy of my credit report and I was surprised to notice that my employer had pulled a credit check on me back in Apr. I had been with this employer for over five years when they pulled a report and I don't recall ever signing a release that would authorize the HR department to do such a thing. My understanding that HR can pull a report for initial pre-employment screening but they have to have your consent. Am I correct in this assumption and any clue why they would pull a report almost five years later and do I have any repercussion with my now ex-employer?

I don't know about your case, but I looked at one of my credit card statements and saw my APR had gone from 12.9 to 20.9%. I called to find out why and they said it was because I had a high revolving balance on my other credit cards. I was surprised to find out that they periodically check your credit rating and will ding you if you're late with other creditors or have high balances on other cards.

Thedude said:
I recently pulled a copy of my credit report and I was surprised to notice that my employer had pulled a credit check on me back in Apr. I had been with this employer for over five years when they pulled a report and I don't recall ever signing a release that would authorize the HR department to do such a thing. My understanding that HR can pull a report for initial pre-employment screening but they have to have your consent. Am I correct in this assumption and any clue why they would pull a report almost five years later and do I have any repercussion with my now ex-employer?

Is your company undergoing a DoD inspection for military flying? It could be for that. However, I'm pretty sure that your consent is required.

Its not for US mail and we haven't had a DoD inspection or a NASIP for about 2 years

or bank work. That was always a big deal with new hires when I worked for a bank.

You always need to give permission, though. Maybe you signed something like that when you spent those first mind-numbing days filling out all that redundant HR paperwork. In any case, a phone call to axe dem why wouldn't be out of line.

Nope not bank work either...i should have specified it is a 121 Supplemental carrier. The problem I have with the HR department is they will give you a quick (and usually wrong) answer just to get rid of you especially when you may have found an item they screwed up. Not to metion the fact that the most senoir person in HR has only been there for about 2.5 yrs.

When I was a new hire the only forms I signed were the standard FAA and drug test release forms. And any forms they sent me later I trashed and never signed. (Because that would be an alterations of my conditions of employment..or at least that is what I have been led to believe)

I think they screwed the pooch but I just wanna have my ducks in a row before I even call HR. Would not be the first time for them.

Does your company have an employee handbook? If so, take a look at the company policies and procedures regarding this situation. Further, there may be some language on your original application that states the right for them to do this.

There might be some language on the paperwork that you threw away that states even though you do not sign it, delivery of the information indicates knowledge of the policy. You not signing it does not void your original employment terms, as you have to abide by company policy to retain your job. It really depends on the location of your employer. Are in a "right to work" or an "employment at will" state?

The likelihood that HR just "out of the blue", for no reason, pulled a credit bureau on you is slim. I am sure it was handed down to them from higher up.

Just go in and tell them that you noticed a credit bureau had been pulled and you would like to know the reason. Due to a continuing contract with a government entity, it might have been required to keep the contract. I certainly would not go in there really mad and ready to "watch heads roll".

Just my thoughts...

Kathy

Call an attorney that specializes in employment issues.They should give an answer as part of a consultation over the phone. No harm done. Were you damaged in any way as a result of this activity? If not shame on them, but probably not worth the trouble to stir up any action.

Thanks for the answer Kathy. I just found it a little odd that HR would pull a credit report out of the blue. I do plan on giving them a call and finding out why they pulled a copy and what documents I may have signed the authorized such activity and I plan on asking for a copy.

Which brings me to another question. Now that I am no longer employed there...what rights do I have concerning my personell file. As far as I know, there shouldn't be anything to speak of in there but I just wanna verify it.

Latest resources

Back