question for swa folks

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

SWA tech

A co-woker and I were having a conversation last night at work he said that swa pilots like flying the 300/500 over the 700. I would think it would be the 700 but I could be wrong so what is it 300/500 or 700 thanks.

It all depends on who you talk to, but I love the -700, particularly because it still has that new car/cockpit smell and look to it, and the flat panel displays allow for a lot more situational awareness. I think the 3/500 with the stubbier wings are a little more responsive though, and the 200 even more so. But for me, the 700 is quieter, cleaner, and heck, gets better MPG, so why not.

I've flown with some who prefer the 3/500, but most are older guys who have so much more time in them than I.

As a new guy, I can only give you my opinion...

-700 is better for S/A, weather avoidance, comfort, ease of flying, speed (higher altitude), less malfuctioning equipment, less fuel burn, plus those winglets look so cool...

-300 lands a little bit smoother because the main gear castor a little more than the -700

Hands down, I'd rather fly a -700.

shootr

-700 any day. Physically it is a bigger airplane with more room and better seats in the cockpit. My only gripe about the NG is the noise level in the cockpit. One would have thought that the engineers could have quited it down somewhat...especially the recirc fans.

since we have SWA guys in here commenting on tech stuff, and i am days away from starting class... should i go with the company supplied plantronics headset + custom ear mold or get a telex 750 (does the 850 ANR work in SWA aircraft?). i have never been one for earplugs but i can't say i have ever made an effort or used a custom ear mold, it has been david clamps for me until now... what do the majority of SWA guys use?

thanks, sorry to hijack the thread... :)

A lot of us "younger" guys who still have some hearing to save use the sennheiser headsets. I am cheap so I tried the ear mold thing - hated it. ANR is definatly THE way to go. I'd wait till you start tho - fly a couple of trips with the ear mold thing and then ask to borrow someone's ANR (you can borrow mine in the unlikely event I'm not flying!).

You'll be sold!

Last edited:
Definitely -700

Having flown round dial and glass prior to SWA I already had a preference - glass. As previously noted the glass gives you a much better situational awareness, easier scan, and the ability to move information from display to display. After flying a few trips in the -3/500 and then getting a full day in a -700, you really appreciate the additional features at your command.

Downside of the -700 is definitely the fan blower system and the inability to shut-off the side air vent. The older guys really dislike the -700 seats for some reason. I think they are just as or more comfortable than the -3/500's. Of course those same guys wish we were not getting rid of our last -200 next week.

The in-the-ear Plantronics can really be a pain on a long four day trip but other times does not bother me at all. I have tried the Telex 850 ANR (no batteries) and liked it BUT in certain aircraft there was a problem with no sidetone. Otherwise it worked well. Everone that I know with the other ANR's think they are the greatest.

ivauir said:
A lot of us "younger" guys who still have some hearing to save use the sennheiser headsets.

You'll be sold!

what model is this and do you just leave your left ear (uncupped to hear the CA? my biggest fear the with Telex 750 and other similar models is if it would be unnatural to uncup the ear facing the other pilot. i have never flown an airplane where you don't need a full time intercom so this is all new to me. thanks for the replies, i suppose i will try the plantronics for a while and then check out what others do...

I flew KC-10s for 4 years in the AF with the earpiece. Used the same earmold at SWA for most of the first year. The crew bases have Telex, Sennheiser, and Bose set available for trial. I used the Telex and Sennheiser and bought myself a Telex 850 as a (soon to be) off probation gift to myself. Wait until you get here and try them for yourself. The Sennheiser had more noise cancellation but I personally found the other pilot to be muffled (no hot mic) so I'd end up flying with one earcup pulled back. Sort of defeated the purpose. The Telex cancels the most annoying of the cockpit noise while the open ear design allows me to hear the Capt. (Plus, no batteries!)

Finally, once you get here, there a SWA Capt that owns an FBO in TX that sells the headset for a pretty darn good SWA discount.

Latest resources

Back