Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

CapnVegetto

The Prince of all Saiyans
In light of the new TA, I'm actually considering applying to NJA. Seems like a pretty good place to work now that all the negotiating stuff is gone. Quick questions:

How long will it take to hold a 7 & 7 schedule?

If given a choice, what would be the first aircraft you would take as a new hire FO and why?

What is a typical week like? Are you working your butt off and dead tired all the time, or is it a bit more relaxed?

Do many of your guys leave for 91 jobs or do they typically stay?

What is being offered to new hires as far as aircraft types so far?

Do you think the addition of the Hawker Horizons will reduce the upgrade time any?

Thanks folks!

Not sure it depends on the company. Going to have to take some time to shake it out.

If given a choice, what would be the first aircraft you would take as a new hire FO and why?
Falcon- FA and you're going to be an FO for a while might as well be comfortable.

What is a typical week like? Are you working your butt off and dead tired all the time, or is it a bit more relaxed?
If i'm dead tired i'm fatigued. This tour was 1-2 legs a day. usually a coast to coast with plenty of time off for either side. Then a broken airplane so I sat for two days

Some close friends have left for 91 jobs. That was pre TA. Couldn't blame him and i know he's happier. I still haven't decided if i'm staying or not. I do enjoy 3 weeks of vaca off a year.

Falcon, X, 400xp and 800 from what i hear

Do you think the addition of the Hawker Horizons will reduce the upgrade time any?
Not really just because the addition rate is pretty slow. I know the 150's are expected to be added much quicker than the hoizon. The horizon is so far behind schedule i don't trust any more timelines from them

6 months

X, Falcon 2000, g-200 or whatever type rating you think will be most valuable to you should you decide to go elsewhere... FO pay is improved but still low

Tired and overworked

STAY

A lot of X's and Falcon seats are available.

Better than nothing... not many deliveries expected until 2007

CapnVegetto said:
In light of the new TA, I'm actually considering applying to NJA. Seems like a pretty good place to work now that all the negotiating stuff is gone. Quick questions:

The rest of the guys hopefully answered your other questions. I would like to adress your comment above only as a fair warning to a prospective buyer.

Section 6 negotiations (for the next contract) is less than 5 years away. 48 months from the ratification of this TA negotiations are free to begin. You can believe that this pilot group will not wait more than 48 months and 1 day to begin working with or against management to secure our next CBA. FAR too much of our careers was wasted this last time around until SU had a chance to get elected and turn the tides on a sunken ship.

My point is this. The "negotiating stuff" is never gone. This Xmas I was on the blunt end of no less than 4 contract violations that will eventually pay me over $3,200 in the form of voluntary payment from the company or through the grievance process.

The fight is not over, the endergy of negotiating has merely switched gears to contract compliance.

We have a deal with the company and I and 2,400 other pilots here intend to hold them to their end of it.

Please do not come here (or go to any company) thinking it will be all peaches n cream. We have our battles ahead of us and behind us. The moment we let our guard down is the moment we will lose out big.

I have spoken to many long time NJAers over the years. For some, it was difficult to stomach the last few years. THis company has transformed around them from a family run operation to a multinational, multi billion dollar monster complete with employee numbers and blackberrys. They did not sign up for management/labor reindeer games but that is what they have.

I suggested to them that if this was too hard for them they might need to consider another job for a smaller operator. The same cycle of events will occur every 4-5 years when the contract comes up for grabs by each side. It is THE time for either side to gain or lose.

I encourage you to apply if the whole Domicile base system is actually workable for you. If you find yourself in the Teamsters 1108 ranks I would hope, however, that you would be ready, willing and able to defend your and my career with more than rhetoric and happy thoughts.

CapnVegetto,

You have been a fairly straight shooter on this board for a long time while I felt some others were simply posting here to harrass us during negotiations.

Would be happy to see you come aboard. Upgrade to PIC could be a few yrs though. 4 or 5 is my guess. Possibly 3 if things really go well.

If I were looking at fractionals I also would look ar CS for the simple reason that I believe Upgrades will come far sooner there than anyplace else. Maybe one of their pilots can fill us in on the upgrade time. They stepped up to the plate with Pay raises without any song and dance or delay tactics.

Last edited:
gunfyter said:
CapnVegetto,

You have been a fairly straight shooter on this board for a long time...
Except when it comes to Auburn and the SEC... ;)

Seriously, NetJets is a great place to work. You'd enjoy it, especially if you get the Falcon.

Guys, thanks a lot for the responses. CS is another option that I am considering, although Netjets seems to me like it's bigger, more stable, and has more growth. I doubt I'll make a move till March or so, but I want to do all my research and get all my ducks in a row. I'd consider DAL and PBI as a base, and cross my fingers that home basing happens sometime in the future. I honestly don't care what I fly (although I'd like the higher paying equipment for sure), and a 4 or 5 year upgrade is OK with me, as long as I'm paid a decent wage and treated right in the right seat. The bottom line is, I'd like the next job I take to be the last job I take, and I just ain't quite sure about it, ya know?

FLYLOW, thanks for the input, and rest assured, I'd be committed to making the job the best it can be, whether that would mean striking, or whatever. Obviously nobody on either side ever wants it to come to that, but if it's necessary, then that's what'll happen. By the statement you quoted, I meant that now that the new TA is signed, the pay is better, the work rules are better, and the job is better. Basically I was thinking $27K to be gone half the year: no way. However, $40K+ is a LOT more workable, $50K pretty fast after that, and 6 figures within 7 years ain't bad. I could live in DAL, too. I've got friends there, and it's only about a 5 hour drive from the family in AR. My off days would be spent in a duck pond or deer woods with my pops in his retirement years. :) The thought of that is really appealing to me, as is flying a CE-750, Hawker, or DA2000.

Gunfyter, thanks for the opinions. I'm considering CS also, but like I said, I just don't know. A faster upgrade would be nice in the short term, sure, but I think in the end, NJA would be the better place to work. If any CS guys want to chime in and point out why I'm wrong, I'd love to hear some opinions.

Ultra Grump, Auburn rules, SEC rules. End of discussion. :D :D :D ;)

You'll start at $46,286. on the reserve 18 day schedule, and probably on it for at least 6 months. I've only been here two months and hope to be able to hold a 7 and 7 before I hit the six month mark, but I've talked to others who've been on the reserve schedule longer than six months. Anyway you'll make 46.3K until you are able to hold the 7 & 7.

We are all just trying to be honest with you so you can make the best decision for you and yours.

Good luck CaptnV.

Latest resources

Back