Question for NJA guys or gals.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
StarHustler said:
I know, I live near CLT (one of the current approved cities) and was looking forward to applying now that the TA has been reached. I am not moving to a place like TEB. Oh well, I am still happy for the current pilots. Good job.

Some of our union leaders really think the company is going to come back to the union for an LOU or other change to the contract over this issue. I think it will be very hard to attract a large number qualified pilots with a very limited choice of gateways and the long time to have access to the HBA program, even with the improved F/O payscales in the TA.

We shall see - stay tuned, I suppose.

I've got no idea what they (the company) was thinking.

They have never thought before so don't count on them to start now.

I'm curious to see how many people will be willing to move for a 40K NJA job.

Ok, so lets say there is no LOU. How do you all feel about me driving 3:30 to PBI? Would it work? I understand that I may have to drive down the night before my tour starts and hotel it on my dime. Would I want to kill myself?

Thanks.

Yeah said:
Ok, so lets say there is no LOU. How do you all feel about me driving 3:30 to PBI? Would it work? I understand that I may have to drive down the night before my tour starts and hotel it on my dime. Would I want to kill myself?

Thanks.

That's what a number of current NJA pilots do and that's why "fly from home" or HBA is so important to a lot of people. I've flown with several guys who drive 2, 3, 4 or more hours each way to their gateway.

The HBA will greatly improve the lives of a good number of current pilots. It sadly won't help any new-hires if/when the TA is ratified for quite a while.

Guitar Guy said:
That's what a number of current NJA pilots do and that's why "fly from home" or HBA is so important to a lot of people. I've flown with several guys who drive 2, 3, 4 or more hours each way to their gateway.

The HBA will greatly improve the lives of a good number of current pilots. It sadly won't help any new-hires if/when the TA is ratified for quite a while.

Can you please explain "fly from home", as opposed to "gateway"?

The more I think about it the more I think I am going to apply. I have a bunch of old ACA friends working there, which should help me. So I make the drive twice a month, not bad.

Yeah said:
Can you please explain "fly from home", as opposed to "gateway"?

The more I think about it the more I think I am going to apply. I have a bunch of old ACA friends working there, which should help me. So I make the drive twice a month, not bad.

Check your PM

HD

Last edited:
..... (Accidental double post... oh well...)

Last edited:
I don't know if it's the right thinking to expect the company to see the error of their ways and come asking for an LOU to expand the HBA system because of problems meeting the recruiting goals. They've already been having problems meeting the recruiting goals for quite a while and they didn't seem like they were in any particular rush to get the TA finished. People are going to apply, they always do. Just like all the pilots who applied and were hired at Net Jets during the whole time they were working with an expired CBA because the TA was "just around the corner." Applying and expecting universal HBA to be "just around the corner" is probably not too bright, because with Net Jet's track record on that type of thing, it's most likely not.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy for the Net Jets pilots that they finally got the TA settled. A good friend of mine works there and he's really relieved to be done with it and is looking forward to really setting in and getting comfortable at NetJets now. I do live near one of the five gateways and I will be applying once I meet the minimums, but I don't think I'd apply if I wasn't willing to move permanently to one of the new gateways because in all likelihood, it's going to stay that way. I'd love to be wrong, but I just don't get the feeling that Net Jets is very proactive about fixing the things that stand in the way of their recruiting efforts.

No contract is going to be perfect, and it sounds like in most areas the new TA is a measurable improvement. The HBA is really disappointing, but it is what it is- so as a potential applicant, look at Net Jets as if this TA is exactly what is going to be in place for years to come. Expecting it to change before the next negotiation is setting yourself up for disappointment.

milehigh6080 said:
They've already been having problems meeting the recruiting goals for quite a while and they didn't seem like they were in any particular rush to get the TA finished. People are going to apply, they always do.
NJA had a lot of problems recruiting people this year, they've only managed about half of the goal for the year. They attempted to remedy that by negotiating an increase in FO wages about 6 months ago. The union turned them down, because they wanted the company to negotiate the whole contract, not just the part that suited their needs. That said, the company then used that as pr ammo against the pilots. Why hurry to get it done when we're so much cheaper under the old CBA?

If the new-hire domicile issue hurts hiring, it will change.

Good luck - you're fortunate to live near one of the domiciles. You never know, you may get hired into the G-IV, depending on how many SICs bid over there.

Latest resources

Back