• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Question for GuppyWn re: Delta

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
To all reading this thread.....Gup and I have had some conversatons about this in PMs....

Delta WAS Southwest back in the day....We HAD picnics, we HAD a family attitude, we HAD the top pay.....All spilt milk, but we HAD it....

It takes a crappy manager to come in and prove his worth by cutting the core principles of your airline and what it means to the bottom line....It CAN happen to you at SWA. (Waveflyer....I'm talking to you!)

To point fingers and say "I'd never go to a legacy with their outsourcing...." etc etc. is laughable at best. You never know where this business will take you but you can guarantee one thing, when you are the top of the pile you WILL be replaced, it's Darwin.......so enjoy your high pay, live on the 737, and love your schedules.....it may all go away and then your life plan changes......

Be ready, it will happen Wave....

That SWA fun and picnics will all go away with their first merger. Did you see how they tried to create "unity" with the F9 guys by forcing them to try to take a staple? They won't be able to do that again, and when they do merge (Kelly seems to want it), it will turn them upside down.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:
General,

Your source of info is one, two or three SWA FOs...correct? My info was directly from the SWAPA scheduling committee which provides this same data for each qtr to all of the pilots. It is generated from the cumulative line totals for 1Q10. I'll let the reader determine which source is the more useful in which to make characterizations about a "typical" pairing or line at SWA.

It is difficult to realize one's error when the facts are pointed out by those who have access to more complete data. I can understand you throwing out the "BS" flag as you have been working under some false illusions for sometime. I'm glad to have been the source for a more accurate portrayal of SWA. I'm sure this more accurate data will be included in any upcoming SWA related posts. No need to thank me, :cool:, you're welcome.

Webster defines average as:
1 a : a single value (as a mean, mode, or median) that summarizes or represents the general significance of a set of unequal values

There are certainly lines that have 5,6 and rarely a 7 leg day (haven't seen one in years but for the sake of the discussion lets say there is a few out of those pairings among the 5000+ lines a month).

Yes, the seniority system is alive at SWA which may or may not result in junior pilots flying more turns but many pilots don't even look at the individual pairings or number of legs as a criteria for making their bids which results in some senior pilots flying pairings with more than the 2.8 avg.

The 3 day and 4 day hourly total you referenced does exist even though I haven't seen an example of anything close to that in the past 18 months, that said, they are probably out there as are a bunch of minimum trips of 19.5 with 14-16 hrs applied. So again, the "avg" is a snapshot of the entire package, believe it or not.

Hiring has not occurred for 18 months or more but neither has furloughs. Long commutes and enduring reserves has become the new "non-normal" for the most junior on the FO and CA side and the hope is '11 will see that change if trends still continue as they appear to be. We have also seen pay raises and improvements in other work rules that most who come from other carriers consider far superior to what they have experienced in the past...flexible trading of trips for some and better rigging of trips has resulted in more dollars in the pocket. SWA pilots are not adverse to working....the choice is there and available to earn more money or take the days off...nice choices to have I believe.

As far as retirements....SWA new hire classes since nearly its inception I've been told incorporated a bell curve approach to the average ages of the new hire classes...most new hire classes avg around 37-39 yrs of age. This has spread out the number of retirements over a longer period of time and lessens the burden on the training department, avoids bubbles/ surges of retirements. Here is the snapshot of retirements for the next 10 years.

'10 - 2
'11 - 6
'12 - 14
'13 - 125
'14 - 107
'15 - 145
'16 - 166
'17 - 157
'18 - 109
'19 - 143
'20 - 160

1132 out of 5800+ pilots we have right now.

A case can be made that the rapid growth of years past will not be replicated again, in fact some say no growth will occur.

I'm of the opinion that rapid growth (when we hired over 500 pilots in the yr I was hired in '99) will not return but I'm certainly not of the opinion that zero growth will occur either.

I'm of the opinion that growth will return but at a more modest level with gains occurring in '11 due to many factors (I've postulated in other threads why...I won't bore you or others).

I see the lines returning to more productivity, the type of productivity we had in 3Q08 when SWA pilots were at their peak productivity and with the impending projected opening of a new crew base in the next 6-12 months, the pairing selection will improve also which adds to the QOL of our pilots. Everyone expects it to be DEN with over 140 flights from there by this fall.

I can understand your aghast at seeing the hard numbers and being shocked that your preconceived ideas on a tyical pairing at SWA are wrong. Looking at a single friend or several friends, regardless of their seniority, line for the month tells you a single snapshot of that line but nothing about the average pilot. I certainly don't judge every DAL pilot by the opinion I hold of you, that would be unfair to other DAL pilots ;)

Stagnation has occurred for the junior most but I praise them for handling these challenges and continuing to support the efforts of SWAPA and SWA in providing the customer service that in the long run brings us more customers which generates revenue and will allow us to grow. Giving great customer service is the most direct way our pilots have at improving their chances of moving up the seniority ladder and they realize that fact.

Chase,

Quit bringing up customer service issues that you and I have little control over. We both say hi or goodbye to passengers, and we always try to give them a smooth flight. If I ever saw an employee railing against a passenger for something, I would pull them aside and say stop it, and you would too. Not every SWA employee does a fantastic job, and we all saw that on that TBS or whatever Cable show featuring SWA. Customer service is important regardless, and we all know that.

When you gave the averages for line values and leg numbers, it was just that, an average. Your senior pilots will get better trips, and your junior guys will get worse or longer trips. If your projected retirements stay the same as you have given, newhires or junior people will continue to have the worse trips for a long time. Those numbers aren't promising. Sure, your pay is great for now along with your rules, but QOL will be lacking for years if you are in the bottom percentiles at SWA. Add a merger in there, and that could be horrible.

I like your airline, and I think SWA is a good company. Your stews are nice, and your management is great for now. But, I don't understand what path SWA will be taking in the near future (INTL? Merger? Internal growth? Stagnation?), and those retirement numbers are not promising for anyone junior. Thanks for the debate.

Bye Bye--General Lee

GL

U r right. SWA is doomed to become like DAL, don't know what I was thinking.

And that customer service thing....what was I thinking that I or any of our 35,000 employees have any control over providing good customer service. We are powerless to change our destiny.

Just curious, since everything is inevitable, when does DAL disappear like the many legacies have that have gone before? Afterall, it is inevitable, right?;)

BTW, no merger in SWA's future, GK told me personally!

Cheers

GL

U r right. SWA is doomed to become like DAL, don't know what I was thinking.

And that customer service thing....what was I thinking that I or any of our 35,000 employees have any control over providing good customer service. We are powerless to change our destiny.

Just curious, since everything is inevitable, when does DAL disappear like the many legacies have that have gone before? Afterall, it is inevitable, right?;)

BTW, no merger in SWA's future, GK told me personally!

Chase,

Come on now, don't get all worked up. You and I are pilots, so we are limited on what we can do for customer service. Sure, you can go in on your days off in your uniform and stand out at the gates and help people, or you can smile and be courteous while working, and fly a smooth flight. We can only control so much. We are paid to fly planes and be professional. Do you volunteer to go into pre-schools in your uniform and talk to kids you don't know on your days off, too? Wow, you are a company man for sure.

You said SWA is destined to become "doomed" like Delta? Really? Doomed? You mean become a true Worldwide carrier with a large domestic operation too? Your own management didn't trust you guys even doing INTL flying until recently--when codeshares with Volaris and Westjet were put on hold. The DL/NWA merger was the best one in recent history, and I think you are more worried about a merger with SWA and someone else, which will take more Capt slots away from SWA guys and give them to the merged airline's pilots. Wait, JK told you that personally that you would never merge? Wow, I guess I would take that to the bank if I were you. There is NO reason a CEO would lie to an employee. Amazing. IF he did tell you that a merger would happen, you could use that to your advantage and buy up some stock and make money. So, in reality, he can't really tell you anything that deals with that.

Has every legacy disappeared? Some have, and some are still around. Never said it was inevitable that every legacy would go away. But, in this environment, mergers are more likely. The investors have agreed that it can be in their best interest, and it isn't up to the employees like yourself. If Kelly gets enough heat from the board, he will look into it.

Thank you again for these interesting debates.

Bye Bye---General Lee

To all reading this thread.....Gup and I have had some conversatons about this in PMs....

Delta WAS Southwest back in the day....We HAD picnics, we HAD a family attitude, we HAD the top pay.....All spilt milk, but we HAD it....

It takes a crappy manager to come in and prove his worth by cutting the core principles of your airline and what it means to the bottom line....It CAN happen to you at SWA. (Waveflyer....I'm talking to you!)

To point fingers and say "I'd never go to a legacy with their outsourcing...." etc etc. is laughable at best. You never know where this business will take you but you can guarantee one thing, when you are the top of the pile you WILL be replaced, it's Darwin.......so enjoy your high pay, live on the 737, and love your schedules.....it may all go away and then your life plan changes......

Be ready, it will happen Wave....

I'll go a step further. Forget hedge fund takeover- think car accident. This job can go away at any time.

What doesn't is my integrity. I have an MBA, my family has a business that earns more for us than my career ever will- I have more aviation backups than most pilots I know. Those didn't grow on trees - it took effort and investment and working on days off when I'd rather not- but I don't have a victim mentality and the achievements keep me young. Apparently you don't know about this kind of life. Where taking responsibility for everything in your life actually sets you free- harder but better at every step.

As time marches on- I'll always evaluate things- but I will never say I HAD to
sellout- and will never put myself in a position where it seems I have no choices. It's just not true.

YOU didn't have to vote YES to sellout connection pilots, but you did. You didn't have to keep giving your expertise to mgmt that just wanted to line their pockets- but you did. You couldve been working on your off days to give yourself more options- but apparently you haven't. And mgmt knew you didn't and played you.

Bad things always happen when you're unwilling to walk away- and really bad things happen as soon as an opportunistic mgmt knows you're willing to sellout- you gave an inch- they took a mike, bc you didn't have the stones to live w/ integrity in the beginning. Now how many delta flights a day are done by pilots who have no contract with delta airlines.

Chase alluded to it. Business and life aren't set in stone- as long as our employees care more than yours- we'll compete well with you. Right now, from my chiefs to GK- I work for, and with, men and women who are fun as hell and deserve my best- they'll get it.
you're right - it's a long career and time will tell- but it'll be my choice and I don't run from that.

General- will you run downstairs and grab a stroller for a pax? Will you pass out snacks nonreving? Push wheelchairs? Help clean up when it would help? Take the time to help a pax to their gate when you're off? Will you take the lead or just fill a seat?

Keep eating your ice cream- I want you the way you are.

General- will you run downstairs and grab a stroller for a pax? Will you pass out snacks nonreving? Push wheelchairs? Help clean up when it would help? Take the time to help a pax to their gate when you're off? Will you take the lead or just fill a seat?

Keep eating your ice cream- I want you the way you are.

I do that all the time in the States. Overseas, ground people sometimes take offense if you do that, since they still enjoy their jobs over there.

Now, passing out snacks while nonrevving---NO. JB guys clean cabins between flights, but I don't do that either. I will help where I can, but I don't do every job out there. I try to give people a smooth and safe flight, and eat ice cream over Greenland at the same time.

Bye Bye---General Lee

waveflyer I agree, that the actions of the employees make a big difference.

Do you help fuel the plane too? What about catering? Do you get on their lift truck and go in there and help carry off large bins of drinks etc? How about lav dumping? Wear a face mask please.

Everyone can do more than is required, which is admirable. Doing a lot more and getting in people's way is another thing. Don't go overboard. Helping people at the gate find their way and getting a wheelchair or a stroller from below is about the most you can ask from a uniformed pilot. More than that, and even passengers will start wondering what is up.

Bye Bye---General Lee

I'll go a step further. Forget hedge fund takeover- think car accident. This job can go away at any time.

What doesn't is my integrity. I have an MBA, my family has a business that earns more for us than my career ever will- I have more aviation backups than most pilots I know. Those didn't grow on trees - it took effort and investment and working on days off when I'd rather not- but I don't have a victim mentality and the achievements keep me young. Apparently you don't know about this kind of life. Where taking responsibility for everything in your life actually sets you free- harder but better at every step.

As time marches on- I'll always evaluate things- but I will never say I HAD to
sellout- and will never put myself in a position where it seems I have no choices. It's just not true.

YOU didn't have to vote YES to sellout connection pilots, but you did. You didn't have to keep giving your expertise to mgmt that just wanted to line their pockets- but you did. You couldve been working on your off days to give yourself more options- but apparently you haven't. And mgmt knew you didn't and played you.

Bad things always happen when you're unwilling to walk away- and really bad things happen as soon as an opportunistic mgmt knows you're willing to sellout- you gave an inch- they took a mike, bc you didn't have the stones to live w/ integrity in the beginning. Now how many delta flights a day are done by pilots who have no contract with delta airlines.

Chase alluded to it. Business and life aren't set in stone- as long as our employees care more than yours- we'll compete well with you. Right now, from my chiefs to GK- I work for, and with, men and women who are fun as hell and deserve my best- they'll get it.
you're right - it's a long career and time will tell- but it'll be my choice and I don't run from that.

Good discussion Wave....seriously.....(almost too civilized for FI) but fill me in on the sellout of the connection pilots. Were you affected by said sellout? I'm not following you...

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back