Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Widow's Son

Hey Gup,

I read on PpruNe on the "Delta Hiring" thread that you wrote that if you were on the bottom of the SWA list you would consider jumping to Delta.

I found that quite interesting.

You have railed against PBS, which Delta has.

You have railed against RJ codeshare, which Delta has in spades.

You have railed against international alliances, which Delta is all about.

You have also seemed to be a champion of max pay and quick upgrades which SWA beats Delta in both categories.

Therefore, other than making the General's day, could you please expound upon why you said you would consider leaving SWA for Delta?

My guess he said that is because unless Kelly pulls a rabbit out of his hat, the bottom feeders at SWA will be bottom feeders for decades, no growth, and most likely mergers further slowing upgrade times.

Funny...I am at the bottom of the WN list...there were two guys in my class from Delta....I wonder how they feel.

Hey Gup,

I read on PpruNe on the "Delta Hiring" thread that you wrote that if you were on the bottom of the SWA list you would consider jumping to Delta.

You have also seemed to be a champion of max pay and quick upgrades which SWA beats Delta in both categories.

Therefore, other than making the General's day, could you please expound upon why you said you would consider leaving SWA for Delta?

That last sentence is pretty funny.
That being said, this couldn't have been said through a PM?

I wouldnt jump ship to delta from WN. They are two good companies and its just a personal choice. WN is a lot of fun, comfortable pay and i dont worry too much about furlough because of their history. Yes, i realize things can change.

Hey Gup,

Absolutely my friend.

My PERSONAL quality of life meter is pretty simple. Make bank while you can and try to enjoy your job doing it. You must be able to do this in as few "do-overs" as you can.

Southwest is my 3rd airline after almost 10 years as a corporate pilot. When I got hired here I had also been hired by American AND Delta. The first class date was Southwest. By the time the American class date had come up I was almost on the line and realized how "fun" Southwest was. The major problem is the pay SUCKED! (relative to Mother D and American) I did the math and figured a 4 year upgrade here would have me making what I would at either of the other two and we'd "hopefully" have a decent contract by then anyway.

Well, educated guess and it has, to this date, paid off. Missed the 4 year upgrade by a couple but the pay swung up to where it is today.

As far as your question I'll reference my Quality of Life Meter. Make bank and go home. Delta is hiring, WN is not. One of my very best friends is almost dead last at WN. He has been on straight reserve and commuted across the country for 2 YEARS to do it. He has had his nuts slammed so many times I cannot count the ways. In other words, he has no life. He doesn't complain so I will do it for him.

If I were him and was looking at a 15 year upgrade, which he is, I would consider going elsewhere. Flying all over the world in the right seat of a 777 doesn't suck. Spending 15 years in the right seat of a 737 might. Nobody knows yet because we have never been "there" here at WN.

Listen bro. This isn't about PBS, codeshare, or RJ's. This is about quality of life and making cash to support your family in retirement. I have championed against every single one of those things but I will be honest. At the end of the day I do not fight these things for YOUR benefit, I fight them for MINE, which may help you too! :)

Do I love it at Southwest Airlines? HELL YES!!!! This is, without a single doubt, the best job I could have, FOR ME. I am a redneck goofball with a pretty laid back attitude and this joint fits me like a glove. All things being considered though, in todays market, you'd be a FOOL not to put a serious eye and pen to paper on a Delta career. It's a great airline. Take off the uniform and their guys are just as "cool" as our guys. (Unlike the United guys - but I digress! ;) )

Be selfish in your career choices, do the math and take a swing. That's pretty much all I was saying.

Gup wouldn't leave Southwest for ANY carrier - today. If I were #5832 I'd at least do the math.

Gup

P.S. I'm not telling anyone to jump ship like we had Pre 9/11 here at WN! I'm simply explaining to you what would go into my decisions in todays environment.

Last edited:
That was a most excellent reply Gupster. Read your stuff on the prune too, and we are from totally different backgrounds, but that was a wise statement.

Very nice post, Guppy.

You forgot to comment on his genetalia and talk and make other vague homosexual references like is the standard at FI. :)

Great Post Gup.

I was looking at the bottom of your list a few years ago, and made the cost benefit analysis as well. Both airlines have a lot going for them.

It is a choice between two great paths.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back