Question for CFI's

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

cougar6903

I already posted this in the training board but was hoping for some more replys. Does a student pilot need a current 90 day solo endorsement to be PIC on the private pilot checkride? I would think no since the student wont be solo since the examiner will be with him.

That's an odd question. I think you log the PIC because you passed the ride. You are not solo with DPE on board so why in the world would you 'need' that endorsement. Also, if you haven't soloed in 90 days, I probably wouldn't sign you off for the check ride. Get the new solo end. and go practice for the ride. It will save you some money and build your confidence which is something your examiner will notice. Confidence that is.

Just noticed your profile. I see that your not the student. My bad.

Humm...that's a good one.

All I know is that the DPE is NOT PIC on the flight, pass or fail.

I've never known an examiner to look for the current solo endorsement. Then again as MCJOHN said he's not Solo.

I'm guessing no.

mcjohn said:
That's an odd question. I think you log the PIC because you passed the ride. You are not solo with DPE on board so why in the world would you 'need' that endorsement. Also, if you haven't soloed in 90 days, I probably wouldn't sign you off for the check ride. Get the new solo end. and go practice for the ride. It will save you some money and build your confidence which is something your examiner will notice. Confidence that is.

Just noticed your profile. I see that your not the student. My bad.

You log PIC either way (pass or fail). Not sure what you mean about not soloing in 90 days. You can go fly solo on day 90 of the endorsement and go take the checkride on day 91 and the endorsement would be expired. You can also sign off a student for a checkride and never hear from them again. They can wait a month and go take a checkride with a DE 50 miles away. After all he's got your endorsement.

paulsalem said:
Humm...that's a good one.

All I know is that the DPE is NOT PIC on the flight, pass or fail.

I've never known an examiner to look for the current solo endorsement. Then again as MCJOHN said he's not Solo.

I'm guessing no.

If an airman does not yet have a PPL the only way to log PIC is by soloing as a student pilot right? Then how the hell can a student pilot log a check ride as PIC that he just failed. He was not solo in that plane:confused: .

Hell, I really don't even see why its PIC if he passes. The DPE doesn't know if the applicant is going to pass until the end. What if an applicant nails everything up until the very last approach and then does something really really stupid and the DPE ends up having to save their lives? Why should the applicant be allowed to log that check ride time as PIC? HE WAS NOT SOLO!!:eek:

Last edited:
cougar6903 said:
I already posted this in the training board but was hoping for some more replys. Does a student pilot need a current 90 day solo endorsement to be PIC on the private pilot checkride? I would think no since the student wont be solo since the examiner will be with him.

Yes, the applicant must be current. you can find more information in the Designated Pilot and Flight Engineer Examiner's Handbook.

mcjohn said:
If an airman does not yet have a PPL the only way to log PIC is by soloing as a student pilot right? Then how the hell can a student pilot log a check ride as PIC that he just failed. He was not solo in that plane:confused:
Because the regs say so.
==============================
61.47 Status of an examiner who is authorized by the Administrator to conduct practical tests.
(b) The examiner is not the pilot in command of the aircraft during the practical test unless the examiner agrees to act in that capacity....

(c) Notwithstanding the type of aircraft used during the practical test, the applicant and the examiner (and any other occupants authorized to be on board by the examiner) are not subject to the requirements or limitations for the carriage of passengers that are specified in this chapter.
==============================

Doesn't seem to make much sense or fit with reality, huh? It doesn't. It's just a policy decision by the FAA that it does not want examiners to have PIC liability exposure for the flight.

(Of course, if you want to be =hyper= technical, there's really nothing in 61.51 that says the student can log it. But no one, least of all the FAA, really cares.)

Mark, Do you have any input on the original question? Does a student pilot need a 90 day solo endorsement to take the checkride? I couldn't find anything in the regs that says they do.

Latest resources

Back