question for CFI's (past and present)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Earl Williams

I just recently finished up my commercial rating, and am now investigating options for CFI training. I really can't wait to start instructing...as I've heard, teaching others to fly really fine-tunes one's ability as a pilot.

I realize that I've got an enormous amount of academic work ahead in order to be fluent in such topics as aerodynamics, systems, weather...and everything else a CFI needs to know. Is it adviseable to get all of the writtens out of the way first, and study up on all of the required reading, PRIOR to "officially" starting training? I don't want to begin training w/out having adequately prepared myself to the best of my ability...yet I almost feel that I could spend the rest of my life studying and still not be convinced that I'm 100% knowledgable on all topics.

Would it be best to speak to the schools I'm most interested in and hear how they would structure the course?...or just start studying up and approach them when I feel I'm ready to begin the training process?

Thanks everyone, and fly safe!
-Earl

Earl,

You need to be conversant with all the basics. However, one of the most important things you can learn is the ability to say, "I don't know, but let's look it up together."

The most important thing you can do to prepare to be a good flight instructor is learn people. Learn to teach. Instructors are a dime a dozen, but teachers are rare. Learn to be a teacher.

The information doesn't change much. You don't need to be an aeronautical engineer or a regulations guru. In fact, that may be somewhat detrimental. Your mission is to be able to explain things in such a way that a student gets it, and can apply it. Your job is to help people realize things, and this requires learning about what a person needs, how they think, and finding the approach on an individual basis for each student. It's not always an easy thing.

The rest is nothing more than what you know now. You know about preflight planning, weight and balance, regulations. Get to know them better (you'll spend the rest of your career studying, so plan on it from henceforth). But get to know yourself best, and your students as well.

Flight instructor manuals will give you all the claptrap about levels of learning and all the details on specific areas of knowlege and study. However, the meat of it is understanding people, and there's only one way to get it. In actual practice. Therefore, pick up a flight instructor guide read it, and go take the test. Then the real work begins, and for the duration of the time you'll be teaching students, the real test starts.

Incidentally, it's a commercial certificate, not rating. You've upgraded your level of pilot certification, rather than merely adding a rating.

Good luck!

Is it adviseable to get all of the writtens out of the way first, and study up on all of the required reading, PRIOR to "officially" starting training?

I would highly suggest taking them asap although it surely is not a must "prior" to starting your training. I went to an accelerated 2 week program and did not take them till I got there ( Airman Flight School) but if I had to do it all again I would have taken them ahead of time since they really push you through the program and time is not in excess. If you are doing your training locally then it is strictly up to you. May be in your best interest however to get them out of the way BUT don't let this hold you back from starting your training.... There is alot to learn during your CFI training obviously but you really shouldn't be "surprised" since all the manuevers, tasks, objectives, etc, you have already done somewhere in between your PVT to your Commercial training. Now it will be just a matter of putting everything together that you have learned and being able to "teach" your skills to a student.

Good Luck to you-

3 5 0

Earl,
I feel the above posts have answered your questions but I just wanted to add this...

Instructing is one of the most rewarding experiences you could go through. You are truly impacting a persons life as their flight instructor. And the look on your primary students face as you send them solo for the first time will be something you will never forget...as well as the feeling within yourself. The amount of pride you feel as they leave without you is incredible! <sniff>, they grow up so fast!

Enjoy your journey and don't be a time-builder. Sure instructing is a "stepping stone" for many but don't overlook the experiences and training you recieve from your students. I have moved on from full-time instructing but I am going to keep my certificate current and continue sharing my love of flying with anyone willing to listen!:)

Goodluck and have fun (if you do, so will your students!)

Nice

It's nice to hear a guy with the right attitude about being a CFI instead of "I want to be an airline pilot NOW....I don't want to be an instructor." Good for you. My take on the writtens is they are not too hard. The FOI is weird stuff that you just have to get in your head for the written and the CFI basic is a glorified commercial. My advice is to get them behind you with the minimum of effort. Then get through the training and checkride....put a lot of effort into that, but my opinion is no school can really teach you to be a good CFI. That takes time and experience and you can't really teach it in a school....it's a matter of getting out there and doing it with a good attitude.

Earl,

I'm also working towards my CFI. I got the writtens out of the way first and plan to start flying sometime this week. I haven't flown anything in about 7 months. I don't know if I remember how.

Doing the written exams was an economic issue for me. I had to stop flying for a while due to low money levels but wanted to keep moving forward. Studying for the FOI and knowledge exams was a fairly cheap way to continue the progress. Also, winter flying in the Seattle area is subject to alot of weather related restrictions. So now the rainy days are a bit less frequent, the money has come back somewhat, and both writtens are out of the way - I should be good to go.

God only knows where the students will come from. Good luck.

Seattle

Agree with the above - a great attitude Earl, it will boost your career!

Take written tests first?
Many prefer to get the written test "out of the way" quickly and first. This is probably the most time efficient way to do it.

In my opinion the FAA systems provides very safe pilots. Our safety record is among, if not the best, in the world. The FAA certification systems are sometimes critiqued by other nations. The item that is most frequently criticized is the FAA written test, and how the quesions are released to the public unlike most other countries. Written tests can never check a candidate's entire knowledge. A test can only make spot checks to see if some of the key elements are understood. It is suggested that it is possible to pass the FAA written exams without having sufficient knowledge. I have always claimed that we have the worlds best reference publications. Our system is excellent if it is used as intended by the FAA - that is read the reference books first, then practice the written test questions and finally do the actual written test. The FAA is concerned about one weakness: It is possible to speed-read written test books and memorize the answers. With this in mind I would certainly suggest that you study the books thoroughly and use the test to check your overall knowledge. Some airlines will ask written or verbal interview questions to explore your knowledge. The best way to prepare for a long career is to learn the material thoroughly on not only memorizes exam questions to get the written out of the way quickly..

Last edited:
CFI prep

Earl Williams said:
I just recently finished up my commercial rating, and am now investigating options for CFI training. I really can't wait to start instructing...as I've heard, teaching others to fly really fine-tunes one's ability as a pilot.
It does. Some scoff at the notion of flying better and better Lazy 8s, chandelles, and ground reference maneuvers as you demo them, but doing so really hones your skills.
I realize that I've got an enormous amount of academic work ahead in order to be fluent in such topics as aerodynamics, systems, weather...and everything else a CFI needs to know. Is it adviseable to get all of the writtens out of the way first, and study up on all of the required reading, PRIOR to "officially" starting training? I don't want to begin training w/out having adequately prepared myself to the best of my ability...yet I almost feel that I could spend the rest of my life studying and still not be convinced that I'm 100% knowledgable on all topics.
The truth of the matter is you never really stop learning. Getting the writtens out of the way is just the tip of the iceberg. I agree with doing so before training to get them out of the way. But that doesn't mean that you shouldn't stop studying. You will do unconsciously as you prepare your lesson plans - but there's nothing stopping you from restudying and truly absorbing what you learned to pass your writtens - especially the FOI.
Would it be best to speak to the schools I'm most interested in and hear how they would structure the course?...or just start studying up and approach them when I feel I'm ready to begin the training process?
It can't hurt. Perhaps a school might have a ground school integrated with CFI flight training. But there's nothing wrong with starting now with studying for your writtens.

BTW, congratulations on getting your Commercial certificate. You're fresh off that practical, which will give you a good start toward your CFI.

The upside of this slow period is that the wham-bam hurry-up-and-get-700-hours era is OVER.

There will now be more incentive fr CFIs to actually learn and teach flying skills, instead of getting all starry-eyed over turbine aircraft.

Concerning the topic here, the fact that you care about being a good CFI practically assures you that you will be one. I wish everyone thought like you do.

Far too many look down on that phase of a pilot's career. It is good to back to some sense of sanity regarding newhire experience levels.

Thanks for everyone's replies and insight.

As I continue to research which FBO in the area to do my training at, I'll start studying up for the writtens, and at least get those out of the way in the process. I'll coincide that with digging deep into the books, and start getting myself into the habit of teaching subject matter to anyone/anything that will volunteer to be an unknowing student. Once I finalize a decision on where to go for my training, it's full steam ahead!

I have a feeling this will be one of the more rewarding jobs I could ever have...I really can't wait to meet with my first student! Hopefully, I can have the same effect on my students as my CFI had one me.

Fly safe!
-Earl

Latest resources

Back