• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

question for CFI's (past and present)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Earl: Hopefully, I can have the same effect on my students as my CFI had one me.
I have a feeling you will have a very good effect..... Good luck Earl!

Earl,

With a positive attitude and hard work ethic that you seem to have I am sure you will do extremely well as a flight instructor and can only wish you the best of luck (you probably won't need the luck though)

I wish you "wind at your six" and dreams come true "at your twelve"

c h e e r s

3 5 0

My advice for getting ready for your CFI is to take the writtens as early as possible. I spent a ton of money on prep materials and instead of doing that again, would recommend faatest.com to help prepare you for the writtens. Cheap and VERY effective.
Next, I would start familiarizing myself with the PTS- this will be your guide no matter where you do your training. Get all of the official FAA reference materials including advisory circulars- the FAA loves to see you refer to those during the oral.
Being a CFI was more rewarding than I ever imagined- you will be amazed at how your skills develop as you observe your students. You will gain a new power of perception for landings- learning to avoid bounces, porpoises, early flares, and late flares. It's really amazing at how far you will let the student take an impending mistake- because you see it unfolding and have the skills to recover safely.
Another thing to remember is that you will mainly be teaching primary students. You don't need to stuff to much information down their throats. I've worked with some CFI's from some unnamed big flight schools that literally try to teach private students the same information needed when studying to get your CFI- it is simply to much. The student will become frustrated and hate you for it. There is time for that when they go beyond the private license- have fun and they will have fun. Teach them to be safe- that is the greatest lesson. The last thing you need to learn to be a good CFI is how to budget your money, because unfortunately you will be poor... Good Luck!

Earl Williams said:
I have a feeling this will be one of the more rewarding jobs I could ever have...I really can't wait to meet with my first student! Hopefully, I can have the same effect on my students as my CFI had one me.
I felt exactly the same way. Good luck with your training.

Not to sell to you but you're looking

Earl, where are you located?

American Flyers has an intensive CFI Academy program that is 30 days long. 7 days a week for 30 days. It is structured off of military style training.

Cost? 2995.00 flat rate plus Examiner's fees which vary by location. This includes up to 10 hours of right seat time in a 172RG.

Great attitude!!! I am glad there are people out there that feel the same way I do.

Earl, i feel the best way to go about cfi training , is to take your writtens first, dont forget to take your AGI written also , so you can get your gold seal when the time comes,
Then sit down and make all your lesson plans, from scratch and remember to keep it simple........ the KISS policy works very well,
after you are done with all your home work , find a good cfi who will do a whole bunch of ground work, then finish the flying
good luck

And yeah, personally it has been one of the most satisfying jobs i have ever had.
Fulcrum

Flight Instructing.......

Just want to add to the long list of comments here, that you already seem to have the single most important ingredient for a good CFI -- your attitude. If you want to do it well, you most likely will. It IS a valuable experience, and it will help you throughout your flying years to come. You learn a lot about flying, a lot about people, and a lot about yourself..... and you will always be the one who was responsible for helping someone get their wings and maybe change their entire life... and people don't ever forget that. It's fun! You'll be great at it. Attitude is the most important thing..... at least that is what one fine instructor told me eons ago, and he was sure right.... Enjoy, and blue skies to you.

Latest resources

Back