Question for CFI's or REC pilots!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

LewisU_Pilot

I was handed my first Recreational Pilot the other day. He is pretty much done all his training and just needs to finish up. This Rec stuff is very foreign to me. I checked out that FAR/AIM and went over some of the requirements, but I was wondering how a typical recreation practical test went? Anyone have any type of insight of what examiners are really hitting hard on with these tests? Does ASA make an Oral exam guide? Any help would be great.
Thanks

I think (not 100% and too lazy to look this early) the PTS for Private is the Rec also.

I've never done a rec, but what I was taught was to teach 'em like a Private student and follow pt 61 for the required stuff (hours, solos, etc.).

This person does realize the restrictions to rec cert, yes?

Isn't it just easier (long term) nowadayz to get the Private or Sport certificate?

-mini

minitour said:
Isn't it just easier (long term) nowadayz to get the Private or Sport certificate?

-mini

I think the Sport Pilot really does what the Recreational Pilot was intended to do. So yeah, I don't know why anyone would bother with a Rec. Honestly, I don't know why anyone would bother with it in the first place.

LewisU_Pilot said:
I was handed my first Recreational Pilot the other day. He is pretty much done all his training and just needs to finish up. This Rec stuff is very foreign to me. I checked out that FAR/AIM and went over some of the requirements, but I was wondering how a typical recreation practical test went? Anyone have any type of insight of what examiners are really hitting hard on with these tests? Does ASA make an Oral exam guide? Any help would be great.
Thanks

where you at LewisU?

I don't have a PTS handy, but I'd assume that the Rec. PTS requirements are identical to the Private requirements, minus a few tasks/area of operarations. As far as a Oral exam guide, I doubt you'd have any luck there. There are so few rec. pilots, and even fewer people actually training for the certificate that I doubt ASA could hope to turn a profit on such a product. Your student might want to take this as a hint that maybe he should just invest a little bit more to get a lot more with the private certificate.

To be honest, I'm surpised to hear that anyone in their right mind would actually consider this turkey of a certificate anymore. Is it really that onerous of a demand to do a few hours of x-country training and extra solo time?

chrisdahut24 said:
I don't have a PTS handy, but I'd assume that the Rec. PTS requirements are identical to the Private requirements, minus a few tasks/area of operarations. As far as a Oral exam guide, I doubt you'd have any luck there. There are so few rec. pilots, and even fewer people actually training for the certificate that I doubt ASA could hope to turn a profit on such a product. Your student might want to take this as a hint that maybe he should just invest a little bit more to get a lot more with the private certificate.

To be honest, I'm surpised to hear that anyone in their right mind would actually consider this turkey of a certificate anymore. Is it really that onerous of a demand to do a few hours of x-country training and extra solo time?

sporty's has a variety of RP training materials

Thanks for the info guys... I am just going to use the pvt pilot oral exam and follow the rec pts. I think the reason he is going after a REC cert. is he has some restrictions on his medical.

Has he considered getting the sport pilot instead?

Latest resources

Back