• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Question for AirNow pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
as long as you are smart with the van.... (don't just stay in the ice) the van is fine. I hear a lot of people who have never flown the thing say so much negative stuff. You just need to be smart about the ice and not take it for granted!

Radar isn't required without passengers

This is not true... I fly a Shorts for a different company in the south. If the radar is MEL'd it states that flight in or around areas of current or forecasted severe weather is prohibited. <---Not verbatum, but thats the general idea. No radar, no flying with ANY thunderstorms in the area is what I get from it.

Depends on the aircraft and the conditions.

Openings in New Hampshire?

Question for anyone who already works at AirNow- Any EMB 110 openings in the Northeast, specifically Manchester?

And just what reg would that be that you are violating?

The reg I was thinking of is 135.173 and I was only recalling part of it (no radar + T/Storms = no flight) but since the aircraft in question is not;

a. a Helicopter or
b. having 10 passenger seats

then I seem to be mistaken. I do, however, see and entry in the MEL's for my current company's aircraft that states they may not be operated if T/storms are reported along the route of flight when carrying pax.

As for your comment about no guts. I've raced mountain bikes and motorbikes and currently play with Porsches’ on race tracks. I get my fix of adrenaline just like the next guy. I also, just like so many people on this, and other sites, have a responsibility to my family and that is to come home at the end of my duty period. As flyinglow67 so aptly put it "There is a difference between guts and flying stupid."

On a more selfish note I would like to keep my expensive flight tickets in my wallet and not pinned on some FSDO wall, so if I don't like what I see in the wx/mx etc. I won't do it. So far this has kept the tickets where they belong and me on my motorcycle.

From an EX-rattler:
1. Caravan is a great airplane, just not so great in ice.
2. If you descide not to fly you WILL be threatened with job lost. The dispatchers will say something like, " The other guys are flying what's your problem?" Maybe we should get someone who wants to fly."
3. Maintenance sucks, PERIOD. TWICE, in two different aircraft, I reported the radar was not working. The aircraft went away and came back with a plate over the hole where the radar used to be. If you write up an MEL they will bitch at you, but if you don't write it up they WILL NOT REPAIR IT!
4. Flight time depends on the run.
5. there is per diem, caravan drivers make about 23-28,000/yr total.

I'm sorry to make it sound so bad but someone needed to be truthful to you about AIRNOW. If you are in the northeast you should try Wiggins airways, or maybe Cape Air.

From another ex Rattler
No plane is great in ice....some are just better than others. Sure the van isnt as good as some, but it certainly is NOT a "death trap".

If you cant handle flying in bad weather, go fly freight in florida, arizona, california somewhere you dont have to ever scare yourself, or learn that "bad weather" is a very subjective term. In reality there are VERY VERY few days when it is actually just not safe to fly. And on one of these days, I actually had the infamous M.VN call me at my house and say the weather sucks dont go. Does this happen offten? No, but again if you dont want to fly in bad weather, go fly somewhere that doesnt have it.

Maintenance is as bad as you make it. If you have a plane that has a few broken items they will let you fly it all year long if you dont say anything. If you start writing up every screw that is missing maintenance will hate you for making their life a pain. The point here is this is 135 freight. There MAY be a company out there somewhere that can replace every screw that falls out when it falls out, but good luck finding it. I was NEVER asked to fly a plane that was not SAFE there. I too had broken radar more times than I can remember. One thing they wont ask you to do is go fly through a line of storms with it. If they dont want to fix the radar, just fly around the storm..so what if that takes you 200 miles out of the way and you have to take so much fuel that you can only put 200 pounds of checks in the plane. If they dont want to fix it, thats what they are setting themselves up for.

135 Freight is not for everyone. If you dont want to fly crappy(but safe) old turboprops around in lousy weather just dont take the job and save everyone alot of bitching later.

GOOD LUCK!

From another ex Rattler
No plane is great in ice....some are just better than others. Sure the van isnt as good as some, but it certainly is NOT a "death trap".

If you cant handle flying in bad weather, go fly freight in florida, arizona, california somewhere you dont have to ever scare yourself, or learn that "bad weather" is a very subjective term. In reality there are VERY VERY few days when it is actually just not safe to fly. And on one of these days, I actually had the infamous M.VN call me at my house and say the weather sucks dont go. Does this happen offten? No, but again if you dont want to fly in bad weather, go fly somewhere that doesnt have it.

Maintenance is as bad as you make it. If you have a plane that has a few broken items they will let you fly it all year long if you dont say anything. If you start writing up every screw that is missing maintenance will hate you for making their life a pain. The point here is this is 135 freight. There MAY be a company out there somewhere that can replace every screw that falls out when it falls out, but good luck finding it. I was NEVER asked to fly a plane that was not SAFE there. I too had broken radar more times than I can remember. One thing they wont ask you to do is go fly through a line of storms with it. If they dont want to fix the radar, just fly around the storm..so what if that takes you 200 miles out of the way and you have to take so much fuel that you can only put 200 pounds of checks in the plane. If they dont want to fix it, thats what they are setting themselves up for.

135 Freight is not for everyone. If you dont want to fly crappy(but safe) old turboprops around in lousy weather just dont take the job and save everyone alot of bitching later.

GOOD LUCK!

So, how are you going to answer the question at the big major interview "have you ever willingly violated an FAR?".

Just from your questions I can tell you don't have the guts to fly night freight. Better try for the commuters and fly with fellow candy arses.

Not really very constructive there "HOT DOG".

Ask them if they can give you one of their more southern bases to get your feet wet. I know they have a base at CAE, but not sure if it is a E110 or C208 base. Also, if you haven't already seen it, you might take a look at how many crashes/pilots RIPing that they have had the last few years and draw your own conclusions.

Best of luck to ya.

Latest resources

Back