Question for AirNow pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
From another ex Rattler
No plane is great in ice....some are just better than others. Sure the van isnt as good as some, but it certainly is NOT a "death trap".

If you cant handle flying in bad weather, go fly freight in florida, arizona, california somewhere you dont have to ever scare yourself, or learn that "bad weather" is a very subjective term. In reality there are VERY VERY few days when it is actually just not safe to fly. And on one of these days, I actually had the infamous M.VN call me at my house and say the weather sucks dont go. Does this happen offten? No, but again if you dont want to fly in bad weather, go fly somewhere that doesnt have it.

Maintenance is as bad as you make it. If you have a plane that has a few broken items they will let you fly it all year long if you dont say anything. If you start writing up every screw that is missing maintenance will hate you for making their life a pain. The point here is this is 135 freight. There MAY be a company out there somewhere that can replace every screw that falls out when it falls out, but good luck finding it. I was NEVER asked to fly a plane that was not SAFE there. I too had broken radar more times than I can remember. One thing they wont ask you to do is go fly through a line of storms with it. If they dont want to fix the radar, just fly around the storm..so what if that takes you 200 miles out of the way and you have to take so much fuel that you can only put 200 pounds of checks in the plane. If they dont want to fix it, thats what they are setting themselves up for.

135 Freight is not for everyone. If you dont want to fly crappy(but safe) old turboprops around in lousy weather just dont take the job and save everyone alot of bitching later.

GOOD LUCK!

I'm sorry that you feel that I may not know what I'm talking about. I would say that my A&P/IA licence puts me ahead of the curve for judging that AN's maintenance SUCKs. I also work on 135 aircraft (helos, jets,and recips) so I feel that I can make a good judgement on how their maintenance is done, having been DIRECTLY involved with their maintenance program. Oh, and by the way you are the only person that I have EVER heard say anything positive about M.VN. I'm sorry that my time is to important to fly 200 miles around t'storms when the company could just fix what should be working properly anyway. Best wishes, bell47.

You play with Porsches, and you want to fly freight for Air Now? In your effort to defend your "guts", you kinda make yourself sound like a spoiled brat.

Don't get too steamed, though. I'm sure I just misinterpreted something in your text. The interenet leaves lots of room for mininterpretation. The radar requirements vary with whether your hauling pax, the size of your airplane, mel, company ops manual, etc. I don't need 'em in the '99, for example.

A lot of people (myself included) like to pound chests, saying freight pilots are tough, and a lot of candy-asses defend their own incompetence by saying freight pilots are dumb. What does anyone else's opinion matter? Figure out how you want to fly, what you feel comfortable with, and take it from there.

There's plenty of info on here for you to figure out what Air Now is all about. Good luck.

I'm sorry that you feel that I may not know what I'm talking about. I would say that my A&P/IA licence puts me ahead of the curve for judging that AN's maintenance SUCKs. I also work on 135 aircraft (helos, jets,and recips) so I feel that I can make a good judgement on how their maintenance is done, having been DIRECTLY involved with their maintenance program. Oh, and by the way you are the only person that I have EVER heard say anything positive about M.VN. I'm sorry that my time is to important to fly 200 miles around t'storms when the company could just fix what should be working properly anyway. Best wishes, bell47.

Wooaahh hold on bud I didnt mean to come off as positive about her, although Im not going to talk trash on here about any one I will say that I was absolutely floored when I got the call from her of all people not to go.
As far as MX I dont have an A&P so I bet you might have a little more insight into that than I however..I never had to fly a plane that I believed to be mechanically unsafe. And as far as flying out of my way to get around weather, how many times do you think I had to do that before they fixed the plane? Once they know that you will stick to whats safe and go out of the way to avoid wx(aka cost them alot of $) I guarantee they wont stick you with a plane without radar unless there is absolutely no other option. Especially if you are on a UPS run and tell UPS the freight was late because they wouldnt fix your radar and you had to go around the storms.

Wooaahh hold on bud I didnt mean to come off as positive about her, although Im not going to talk trash on here about any one I will say that I was absolutely floored when I got the call from her of all people not to go.
As far as MX I dont have an A&P so I bet you might have a little more insight into that than I however..I never had to fly a plane that I believed to be mechanically unsafe. And as far as flying out of my way to get around weather, how many times do you think I had to do that before they fixed the plane? Once they know that you will stick to whats safe and go out of the way to avoid wx(aka cost them alot of $) I guarantee they wont stick you with a plane without radar unless there is absolutely no other option. Especially if you are on a UPS run and tell UPS the freight was late because they wouldnt fix your radar and you had to go around the storms.

Are you saying that UPS pressures airnow pilots to fly through bad weather?

UPS pressures any pilots they think they can intimidate to fly through bad weather. You're the captain of that plane which means when it comes to your aicraft you're the head man in charge on the ramp, and not some pencil pusher with the bulging veign in their forehead. Don't ever be afraid to tell them that when it comes to your safety that their boxes and their schedules don't make a ********************. Just word it a bit nicer than that. They'll get the drift.

Btw, their are freight operators out there who play it straight, and who do replace "every little screw" that's missing. Look a little harder than Airnow and you'll find one.

UPS pressures any pilots they think they can intimidate to fly through bad weather. You're the captain of that plane which means when it comes to your aicraft you're the head man in charge on the ramp, and not some pencil pusher with the bulging veign in their forehead. Don't ever be afraid to tell them that when it comes to your safety that their boxes and their schedules don't make a ********************. Just word it a bit nicer than that. They'll get the drift.

Btw, their are freight operators out there who play it straight, and who do replace "every little screw" that's missing. Look a little harder than Airnow and you'll find one.
testtest

Last edited:
Are you saying that UPS pressures airnow pilots to fly through bad weather?

No, I was saying that if the reason the freight was late was because you didnt have the equipment to get there on time(the radar they wouldnt fix) UPS will immediately call your ops and say "were paying you good $ to get our stuff there on time, so fix that plane or send us one thats not broke".

Current base openings at AirNow

Still looking for feedback from a current employee on EMB 110 openings in the Northeast. I saw an ad on Climbto350 for the aircraft, just wondering where they want to staff it.

Latest resources

Back