Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

justApilot

Dawn Patroller
We were sitting on the ramp in LGB the other day waiting for our takeoff mins of 1600 RVR (only 1 transmissometer in LGB). I can't remember what the RVR was Horizon launched, it was dancing around between 600 and 1000. What do your ops specs allow for takeoff with only one transmissometer?

I know I remember reading that Alaska and Horizon could take off with significantly lower RVR than other airlines. I know when Horizon had the D328's they could take off as low as like 400-600 RVR. I belive they all have the Heads-Up-Guidance required to go that low. Mabye a real Horizon guy could chime in on this one.

--03M

Their take-off mins are pretty much the same as everyone else. With one transmissometer, you need 1600, with three you can do the 600, 600, 600 thing, and at certain airports with the HUD, they can do 300, 300, 300. If you don't have the HUD but do have a SMGSS chart for less than 600 RVR, then you can do 500, 500, 500.

In the above example, with the one transmissometer, they could have only departed legally under 91.

It was a revenue flight. The tower must have seen 1600 RVR just as Horizon was holding short. And just as quick as it went to 1600 it went right back down. Funny how that happens.

Takeoff Mins...

I can't speak for the RJ fleet but when I was in the Q200 at Horizon we could takeoff on 16L at SEA with RVR at 300.
We also had reduced minimums at other airports as well.

The RJ program is coming along from what I gather and I presume they are improving the minimums wherever they can...

Sorry I can't provide hard numbers.

TF

The Rj started going to LGB about 4 or 5 months ago from Seattle 3 times per day, The RJ can take off at RVR as low as 600 depending on the airport and is only currently CAT I certified for landing, though all crews are slowly being cat III trained and all airplanes will have a HUD (all DHC8-200 and 400 and CRJ700) by next winter. The RJ cannot take off part 91 with pax aboard and if we do the same 121 rules apply as per ops specs.
cheers

Treetop,

Check your ops specs. I think you meant to say 16R at SEA for departure with a 300 RVR. When I was at Horizon 16R was the only runway authorized for 300 RVR because stop bars are required and they only exist for 16R. In addition the SMGCS chart is for 16R not 16L. 16L is 600 600 600. To use the 500 500 500 special authorization you still have to go to 16R again stop bars are required below 600 RVR takeoffs.

To answer the question they needed 1600 if only one RVR reported unless part 91 repo was taking place.

Latest resources

Back