• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Question for 737 NG Drivers

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Apparently the Space Shuttle only needs around 9000' as well. Granted they don't land it in the rain and some distances were longer.

STS-1

April 14, 1981, 10:20:57 a.m. PST, Runway 23, Edwards Air Force Base, Calif. Rollout distance: 8,993 feet. Rollout time: 60 seconds. Landing Weight: 194,184 lbs.

STS-2

November 14, 1981, 1:23:11 p.m. PST, Runway 23, Edwards Air Force Base, Calif. Rollout distance: 7,711 feet. Rollout time: 50 seconds. Landing Weight: 204,262 lbs.

etc, etc...

The year 1981 was way different than 2009.
Atmosphere, global warming, break pads, dirt runway, etc, etc...

I don't recall ever reading that. What's the point of arming them then if they'll auto-deploy anyway? I'm trying to find it in my manual. If it's true, just goes to show you learn something new everyday!

Let's back up just a second. There are TWO types of spoilers - Ground and Flight (speedbrakes).

The ground spoilers will deploy upon right main gear squat switch.
The flight spoilers will deploy upon main gear wheelspin.

Right crosswind landings are always rougher because you're getting all the spoilers to deploy at the same time. And old hat taught me to slip the aircraft in the flare to get the left main to touch juuuuuuuust a touch before the right.

The reason to ARM them is so they will auto-deploy upon landing and kill lift BEFORE the T/R's are activated. The T/R deploy is just a backup.

Gup

Let's back up just a second. There are TWO types of spoilers - Ground and Flight (speedbrakes).

Right crosswind landings are always rougher because you're getting all the spoilers to deploy at the same time. And old hat taught me to slip the aircraft in the flare to get the left main to touch juuuuuuuust a touch before the right.

The reason to ARM them is so they will auto-deploy upon landing and kill lift BEFORE the T/R's are activated. The T/R deploy is just a backup.

Gup

I found it, too. Makes sense now. Thanks guys!

The year 1981 was way different than 2009.
Atmosphere, global warming, break pads, dirt runway, etc, etc...

Yep, way different. Alternate runways need to be at least 7,000' if the orbiter weighs over 220,000 lbs. Not that it matters because there is usually a 10,000' runway available for an overshoot. For example, depending on approach direction overshoot alternate for EDW could be either Moses Lake WA, Lincoln NE or Halifax.

Apparently the Space Shuttle only needs around 9000' as well. Granted they don't land it in the rain and some distances were longer.

STS-1

April 14, 1981, 10:20:57 a.m. PST, Runway 23, Edwards Air Force Base, Calif. Rollout distance: 8,993 feet. Rollout time: 60 seconds. Landing Weight: 194,184 lbs.

STS-2

November 14, 1981, 1:23:11 p.m. PST, Runway 23, Edwards Air Force Base, Calif. Rollout distance: 7,711 feet. Rollout time: 50 seconds. Landing Weight: 204,262 lbs.

etc, etc...

The space shuttle also lands like around 100 knots faster than a 737 too.

Gup

While we're on the subject of spoilers, what would happen to them if they were deployed and hydraulic pressure was removed. Would they stay up for some period of time, stay up forever or drop more or less right away?

While we're on the subject of spoilers, what would happen to them if they were deployed and hydraulic pressure was removed. Would they stay up for some period of time, stay up forever or drop more or less right away?

Drop down, I would think, if they lost HYD pressure. I am not a seven three pilot though.

Latest resources

Back