• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Question bout TSA for commuters/JS'ers

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Just like with Customs, it depends on the station. Some let you wear your shoes through in uniform, some don't. Some let you take excess liquids through in uniform, some don't. Some say it's 3 ounces per item in a 1 quart bag, some allow 3.4 ounces. The drag is, you can't point out to them when they are violating the supposedly universal TSA policy because these guys are frequently wannabe police officers who take great delight in sticking it to you for being "non-compliant."

More often than not, I wear the Captain Stubing getup through security even though I'm on a paid ticket (at the very least, I get to bypass most of the long lines at my home 'drome). My bag is TSA liquids compliant either way just in case the knucklehead lamp is lit. As Guppy pointed out, I don't show the ticket either. Then I hit the john on the main concourse and change into civvies for a more comfortable ride (and to take the "Ask me your airport questions" sign off my back).

When they really start to be stupid, just shrug your shoulders, give 'em a wry smile, and keep your mouth shut.

i've heard the 3.4oz thing too. why 3.4? because it happens to be 100mL, which is probably the most common size in the universe for personal items.

also filed under "didn't really think this policy through" is the 3 "ounce" requirement. is that fluid ounces or sixteenths of a pound? what if it's 100mL (3.4oz) in volume but weighs more than 3 ounces? think that never happens? all those 3.4 fluid ounce (100mL) containers are fine, but the 2.5 fluid ounce container that says "net weight 4oz" is not. makes perfect sense.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back