Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

UM#1

Question about TSA for commuters/JS'ers

I have to position (paid ticket) out of CVG tomorrow to get to work (1st trip with new job). I need to bring my overnight bag with me thru security (can't risk checking it and it getting lost). I Haven't done this in years as I lived in base with the old job, so If I'm in plain clothes can I just show my Crew ID and the TSA will let me thru with my liquids?

Last edited:
no,
put on a uniform and it should be no problem with your id. if you don't have an id then you better check it.

Its a lot easier to get thru with the uniform on. If you just have your ID and are in plain clothes then you have to do the liquids thing just like normal pax. The ID that requires a 10 year background check gets you nothing, but a "pilot uniform" that you can buy online gets you a "free pass".

I talked to a Captain the other day who tried to do this with the intention of changing in the crew room.

Mr. TSA said no can do with all the stuff in his bags.

The Captain said " Let me get this straight, if I walk over to that restroom and put on this uniform shirt (apparently he had the rest of his uniform on), then I can go through with the rest of my stuff."

"Yep, that's the deal"

Makes alot of sense........

Ok thanks guys, looks like I'll get to break in the uniform sooner than I thought....

caution

If your flight is on an USAirways flight you will get a SSSS on your ticket and have to comply with the liquid limits as well as pat down and bag toss. Not TSA's doing though. Aiways changed their boarding categories for nonrevs.... In or Out of uniform.

I love it when they ask you three times "do you have any liquids in your bag" and I answer "no" 3 times, they get lippy. What you didn't understand NO the first time. Just had this experience in IAD

You can take 3.4 ounces of liquid per container in the clear ziploc bag.

If you are traveling in uniform then you are exempt.

If you are traveleing in uniform I wouldn't show them your ticket, even if you have one. I'd just act like a jumpseater and breeze on through.

Gup

So what the heck do dispatchers do that are J/S via CASS?? I ask because I am returning to the commuting life for a while.. maybe we should adopt dispatcher uniforms?? Like this makes alot of sense.. but seriously, do we have to go throught normal Pax lines or do we get to run through the crew lines? thanks

Latest resources

Back