Question about Waikoloa, Hawaii

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ArmyPilot

Just a quick question about Waikoloa, HI.

The wife and I are planning on trading in some of those Hilton miles to vacation in HI but are not sure when the best "season" is? We don't know anything about HI. We are looking at going between March - July, any advise would be apprieciated.

Thanks

I don't have much info, but here goes:

I was in Kona (30-40 min. south of Waikoloa) a couple of years ago in Dec. for a period of 3 weeks. That side(west) of the island is drier in general, and if I remember correctly, Waikoloa was one of the driest spots (read sunny) on the island. I couldn't tell you when the best time to go is, but I can tell you that I swung by that Hilton(didn't have miles and couldn't afford to stay there) to check it out. It was very nice; One of the better beach areas on the island. Relative to the older islands, the big island has less big sandy beaches. Yet, it does have some cool black sand and even a green sand beach on the north and eastern side.

In my opinion, April or May would probably be a better time to go to get better deals. HI (all islands) are typically busiest (High season) Dec. thru March-ish and then June-July-ish thru the rest of summer.

Have fun!

P.S. Go to Hugo's in Kona for some Mahi Mahi...mmmmhhhh......

I've stayed there. Nice place, pretty pricey and very touristy. It's isolated from pretty much everything, but then again, it has all the necessary ammenities. It's dry there year-round as are all the leeward coasts in the Islands. Nice golf courses, too. Why don't you go stay at Kapalua, Molokai or Lanai and fly Island Air?

No worries. It's a great place to stay any time of the year. I was just there 2 months ago. Looks like there might be some construction going on between the Outrigger and Hilton resorts, but it shouldn't be a problem. The Outrigger has a fairly large beach (you can walk from the Hilton), and if you're lucky there might be some waves on the outside reef. The Hilton resort is big with some fun pools, dolphins, an artificial lagoon with non-artificial turtles, golf, a boat that takes you to your room (and a bar), a monorail, and a couple loud mouth parrots in the lobby. I highly recommend grabbing some zzzzz's in one of their hammocks. Set aside 1 day to go see the lava flows. They're pretty active right now. Spend another day on the North Shore to check out tropical waterfalls. Stay off the saddle road, it's dangerous. Go grab a steak dinner up near Parker Ranch.

Nice resort, but if you want to see the entire island, be prepared to drive.
Aloha
(Go Gunz)

Thanks

Thanks for the info guys, looking forward to going and any insight is of great help!

Waikoloa

Waikoloa is great like Carvemaster said. Flowing red lava at dusk, Waipio Valley, Akaka Falls, and mixing in some golf and snorkling are well worth your time on the big island. Not sure when the weather is best but late summer-early fall was very nice. Have a great time!

:cool:

Latest resources

Back