Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
MAPD

flyboy said:
Mesa Pilot Development guys will also get hired with 240 hours after they complete that program. However, MAPD is a bit different that the high priced schools. They at least come out of it with an associates degree. I currently work for mesa (ramp) and I've met flight crew members that were hired as low as 240 hours that came out of the program and the instructors are getting hired with 1000 and 100 after a year of service . . . .
They must have changed the program. It was 300 hours ten years ago. Oh, well . . .

But I agree with all of Flyboy's points about the hiring opportunities and program quality. Just two points to bear in mind: (1) MAPD students cannot utter a peep about the gripes they might have because they could lose their chances at "the interview," as legitimate as their gripes may be, and (2) Sometimes an ab initio program that does not offer a CFI program can be a bad choice during bad hiring times. You could finish MAPD, do fine in your interview, and be placed in a hiring pool. At that point you don't know when you'll be called to class, or if you'll be called at all (I don't know how long poolies have priority for class.). During that time, at low time, you should be flying and earning money, which having a CFI would enable.

As for me, I would have been happy beyond belief just to have been invited to class. Beech 1900 Captain would have been wonderful, and being a CRJ or ERJ Captain would have been the icing on the cake.

I remember before 9/11 when kids were going to the regionals left and right, we were getting people coming out of ERAU going to the regionals who have never shot an approach in actual down to minimums. And there were lots of these guys.

How times have changed.

The instructing, flying cargo, flying poorly maintained airplanes, and having bad stuff happens to you pays off later in your life. You only get to have a fatal crash once, experience will save you. If the thrust had been reduced on the CLT B1900 crash just maybe she could have flown it out. You regional guys give a try in the sim and you will see what I am talking about.........coming from a stuctured learning situation doesn't give one the open mind needed for a real problem. Read the latest Flying article, the Alaska MD-83 that crashed. The captain was thrilled because they got the airplane flying again prior to impact, it was inverted but it was flying.... Those guys stayed with it all the way to the end.

If and when there is another hiring boom for the regionals, will these 300 hour wonder pilots have an edge over someone like myself who may have tons of time but did not attend one of these schools?

I do not think the word "wonder" has anything to do with these pilots getting hired at such low time. They are trained the airline way from day 1(bottom line). I only wish I could go back and do it all over again, I surely would have went to the MAPD program since it is by far the best & quickest way to get to the right seat of a CRJ/ERJ at 250 hours or so... Total time has absolutely nothing to do with this since they are just as safe, good, confident, etc, etc, as someone with 1500TT or more- TT has nothing to do with it- I praise Mr. Castle and all involved at this program for continuing to show others in the industry that TT means relatively nothing when you are trained the airline way from day 1. I would share the flight deck with these MAPD grads any day of the week and have the utmost of confidence in each and every one of them. Statistics and facts do not lie.... These so called "wonder pilots" (as you put it ) also have one of the lowest washout rates in the 121 world... I hope they continue to prove others wrong in this industry...

3 5 0

:cool:

Yeah, I remember when I had times like 600TT and 50ME when I was considered really low time, but others were getting hired with those numbers, and guys with 1500hrs or more were calling me low time. Now with more than 1600tt and 600ME, I am still getting called real low time, just by the 3000hr guys. Funny when things change. The way I look at it, I am low time and I know it. But at one time one would get hired at a regional with 900 hrs and then upgrade 10 months later with just over 1500 per the insurance requirements or ops specs. Now a 1500 hr pilot can't get a job, much less a 3000 hr pilot. Hopefully things can get better over the next few years, although I highly doubt that it will get back to the way things were in the late 90's. As far as 300 hour pilots still getting hired, more power to them. I will say this, I would never imagined getting hired with that low of time and expected myself to make it through. The ground school maybe, but the sim and aircraft training, no way.

Oh, to be trained the "Airline Way".

What a bunch of BS.

Let me translate this for you:

Since this pilot will have no real experience or well of skills to draw upon, we are going to drill the crap out of them on procedures. Then we are going to develop a very narrow set of tasks for them to master. Presto! Look - it flies like a real pilot! It parrots back all the proper answers! It wears a uniform!

Guess what folks - the training might look broad but it sure ain't deep. You guys are trainees in a pilot's uniform. Don't kid yourselves. Take the left seater away and you'd be lost.

A real FO hits the ground running and doesn't need to be baby-sat.

Accelerated programs leading directly to a regional are like teaching a 10 year old to act like a 40 year old. It may fool people sometime, but they don't have the real experience to pull it off. It is a disservice to these new pilots as well, since they are allowed to think that they really belong in that seat. It deprives them of the chance to learn how to fly as the PIC of any airplane. Go from being instructed in a seminole to being instructed in an RJ. Sounds like a trainee to me.

You guys are trainees in a pilot's uniform. Don't kid yourselves. Take the left seater away and you'd be lost.

What a "comical" statement...:D Every one of those MAPD grads still has to pass Indoc/ground school/sim training/ checkride/ IOE/ etc... They are just as "qualified" if not more than guys coming off the streets with five times the amount of time they have. Who are you trying to fool.? They are def. put to the test prior to being line qualified and long before being able to put on that "pilot's uniform"- You cannot dispute that since they still have to pass the same training as anyone else ( pass being the key word)....

You may be "bitter" towards these guys but the bottom line is that you cannot "justify" why they are not "prepared" to fly the line when all is said and done since they still had to PASS ALL the stuff that Mr.2500TT had to do in ground school. You either have what it takes or not-

3 5 0

0R let me guess "these guys don't have to do the same ground school/sim training/oral/flight check/IOE/etc since they are low timers"?:D

350DRIVER said:
Every one of those MAPD grads still has to pass Indoc/ground school/sim training/ checkride/ IOE/ etc

Well duh. However those events do not make a person into Chuck Yeager, they do not bestow upon him a Distinguished Flying Cross. It simply means that the candidate was able to take 2 written tests, not breakdown in the face of stress, shoot 4 passable approaches in an airplane, and not really scare his IOE captain. Thats it. There are many shades of gray between "passing" and "great." I presume that the above posters would rather fly with somebody who is "great." I can hardly fault them.

The average time of newhires at my company is just about triple what it was pre 9/11. In discussion with several captains the sentiment is that the higher timers are generally less maintenance, less frightening, and more consistent during the early days. This isn't to say that the low time hires will grow to be any less of a pilot with time, it's just that there is a lot of learning that takes place in that extra 1000 hours. Do it in a skyhawk or do it with paying pax in the back, whatever.

in my class at Comair we had but one Academy grad, the rest were either airline veterans or military guys, with a freight dog and corporate guy thrown in.

our academy guy had 1500 TT, (was a CFI after graduation) had never flown anything bigger than a Seminole and had never flown in the Flight Levels. didn't have much IMC experience from flying in Florida his whole career.

... and he absolutely kicked all of our a$$es in ground school. this guy came in, studied hard, and knew his stuff backwards and forwards. he was light years ahead of us the whole time.

out on line, he's seeing stuff he's never seen before, high altitude flight, weather, etc., etc. but you know what? he's got at least a couple of years in the right seat to soak all that up before he upgrades. with his attitude and work ethic, i'm not worried. i'm sure we have our share of 300TT deadweights, but i haven't run across any...

TurboS7 said:
If the thrust had been reduced on the CLT B1900 crash just maybe she could have flown it out. You regional guys give a try in the sim and you will see what I am talking about

Words cannot even describe how disapointed I was to read this. Capt. Leslie was a great pilot, and, if you read the CVR 'Turbo', you can see Capt. Leslie said (AND I QUOTE!) "Pull the power back." It is unacceptable for you to cite the flying skill of Capt. Leslie when trying to show the errors of low time pilots.

Capt. Leslie was a former CFI, not a fast track graduate, by the way.

As far as MAPD (and Commair) grads are concerned, let the results speak for themselves. They are prefered by most IOE captains at Mesa, and have lower washout rates than 135 drivers or CFI's in not only the 1900 (which they have time in before being hired) but also the Dash, ERJ, and CRJ. They prove themselves to their co-workers every day and are held to the same standards as their fellow pilots, if not higher ones. Isn't that enough?

Capt. Leslie's FO, Mr. Gibbs, was a MAPD grad. Let's blame it on him, huh?!

I'm sorry, but this one just really hit a nerve with me, considering the CVR and the likely cause of the accident, the improper adjustment of the turnbuckle on the elevator down cable which lead to less than full command authority. To read how desperately the crew tried to push nose down and then see the crash compared to an easy sim mistake that a low timer would make . . . it was just too much for me personally. Sorry.
-Boo!

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back