Question about Southwest...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
ditto again

I totally agree with Cosmo and Shooter, but let me give it a different spin.

This is Southwest! Hire for attitude, train for skill! Once you exceed the skill threshold(the mins) it just doesn't matter anymore. You are not going to impress the DB with your bizillion hours in a gyro jet. You need to avail yourself of every opportunity to demonstrate your attitude, including the logbook check. If meeting the mins is not a problem I suggest putting hours into the category that requires the least explanation or verification by the checker. Consider counting all UPT time as student. Yes solo time could go toward your PIC total, but you are also a student and this is how it shows on your form 5. Otherwise you force the checker to dig through your personal logs or you flying history folder.

I did this to make life easy on the logbook checker: times that are on the flying history report (student, MC, MP) translate easily into times on the SWA supplemental form (student, SIC, PIC) + .3 modifyer. I brought tons of supporting documentation in case they asked (they didn't) but what I left the log checker was: SWA form, AF Form 5, logbook (only civilian time), and a SIMPLE spreadsheet showing the raw data from the logbook and form 5 and the math to get the SWA totals with key numbers in BOLD. The logbook I keep that duplicates the AF flight manegment stuff and the vast spreadsheet that I use as a combined log stayed in my briefcase, ready to explain what I was doing on the first of November 1998 (hauling beans and blankets into Honduras). But of course no one asked! This isn't a United interview, they'd rather stay out of the detail and get to know you. Give them a chance by keeping it as simple as possible.

IMHO if you are honest and conservative with your times and then explain it in a way your mom could understand you will have a logbook check worthy of a rock star.

:D
Well said and to the point..

The real reason you are going to Dallas is not whats in the logs beyond meeting the mins..They just have to find that you meet the mins quickly..

Who you are and what others that know you think about you is far more important..

Mike
MLBWINGBORN

Latest resources

Back