• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

question about progressing to complex AC

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
yes i've been looking at aerotrader, Trade a plane, and some other used plane sources.

Are you saying I can get demo rides via those sources?

Finding used planes is not difficult. I want to go up in some so I can make a decision.

thanks, jim

My advice would be to look at the C182s. You'll have less trouble getting insurance and likely a much lower rate than a retract in the same price range. I don't know what your budget is, but a nice C182 is going to cost $70-100K and up, insurance is going to be around $200/mo or so, and a hangar in the Houston area is going to add another $200-300/ month I suppose. Figure another $200/ month for maint if you're going to just drop it off at the shop and leave. You might do better, you might not.

If those figures don't make your eyes water, then you might consider an F33 Bonanza or Cessna 182RG, or perhaps even a Lance/Saratoga down the road. The best thing about a well kept C-182 is that you can move it quickly should you want to trade up. They are popular and relatively easy to maintain and insure. I keep hearing first hand horror stories about maintaining older V-tail Bonanzas and lately, older Centurions. Corrosion, gear saddle cracks, fuel bladders, burned valves, etc. I have a buddy with a '60 Bonanza, and his last 4 annuals have averaged over $10K each. Contrast to my Skyhawk averaging a tenth that, including parts so far.

You're going to need to stay up on the required maintenance, inspections, Airworthiness Directives, etc., or pay someone else to do it. Paying someone else can be expensive. It's not as simple as just an annual inspection, though if you buy a simple airplane and stay on top of things, it can be close to that.

hey guys...just realized.....If I contact sellers of used planes they would take me up if they see I am serious and if they actually want to sell the mofo...right?

I guess that is customary isn't it??

Guess my ignorance is showing.

jlowell said:
hey guys...just realized.....If I contact sellers of used planes they would take me up if they see I am serious and if they actually want to sell the mofo...right?

I guess that is customary isn't it??

Guess my ignorance is showing.

J.,

Not to seem "preachy" in any way, but if you are serious about buying soon, your FIRST step should be to find a good maint shop you trust, and talk to them about doing the pre-buy inspection of the maintenance records and aircraft. Finding an airplane that looks and flys really cool, and then finding out a few months later that it needs $40K in maint and parts to pass an annual inspection is NOT uncommon in the more complex airframes. Somebody here on this forum said that used airplane dealers are worse than used car dealers, and that's true in some cases. Buying an airplane isn't at all like buying a used car or boat. If the maint records are screwed up or missing, you could face expensive inspections and or repairs to make the aircraft legal and safe to fly. You also need a complete title search to make sure there aren't any liens against the aircraft. Unless your flight instructor has a lot of years of experience about this, he may not be the person to give advice either. Seriously, this is a complex thing to do correctly.

[edit]

ERJMech,
I figure you might recommend a shop in the Houston area that he could trust for a pre-buy and records check? Also a price for same? I'm guessing around $800 for a thorough check on a C182???

Last edited:
Seriously, this is a complex thing to do correctly

Boy he isnt lying, I know a guy who got his A&P after he bought his first airplane. My dad swore off owning airplanes after 2 of them because of the headaches. But on the other hand basically the worst you will do assuming you dont crash it is break even with the airplane financially. C182 is a great starter, easy to fly and realtively simple. The more bells and whistles you have on your airplane is just more stuff that will break. I'm pretty good friends with a guy who was an airplane dealer back in the day and he was crazy about cherokee 6's. Appearantly he made quite a bit of money off of them and loved to fly them as well. What do you think about the prospect of a multi engine?

yes thanks for reminding me. I plan on having experienced pros go over both the records and the plane thoroughly. That is for sure.

I'm really a keep it simple kind of guy.....at least as much as possible. Seems like a multi engine is unnessary and would just be more expense to keep up.

I'm thinking of spending 100-150K or at least aim for that. If I have to spend more to avoid mx issues right off the bat then I could. I think I can fit my needs in that price range.

Get an instrument rating!

If your serious about making your trips same day and back for dinner, get your instrument rating as soon as you can after finishing your private. You'll be a safer, more knowledgeable, more insurable pilot that will have all the tools to use "the system" the best you can. Don't put it off! A good plan might be to get your plane and finish your instrument rating in the 'new to you' A/C before going on the insurance as the PIC.

As far as your A/C, it really depends on how much/how many people you want to carry with you. A 201 is great for speed vs. continuing cost with a lite mission. But not as many out there.

You can fill the seats and the tanks in a C182 and get there in reasonable speed. A great compromise A/C between speed and continuing costs. Plus lot's of them out there - easy to get somebody to work on them with parts available. Great IMC plane.

A Lance is great for speed and taking lot's of stuff with you. Also the simplest and cheapest to maintain "complex" A/C out there. A Cherokee 6 is a little slower if you can't pay to swing the gear.

I'd stay away from the archer, arrows, & dakotas. They're all great planes, but I don't think you'd be please with the speed vs. continuing costs.

Bonanzas are nice and fast but expensive in just about every category.

Good Luck

yeah I'm going to be looking closely at 182's. It really does seem to fit my needs and be a saner buy all in all.

And buying a plane that is not difficult to sell in the future is high on my list.

thanks for the thoughts.

Latest resources

Back