question about progressing to complex AC

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
C182

In your situtation, a C182 is hard to go wrong with. It really does everything pretty well and it won't get the new pilot in too much trouble.

One more thing; I'm sure you've heard it before but with whatever plane you buy, make sure to have an A & P you can count on with lot's of experience with the make and model, do a thorough pre-buy inspection. It's worth every penny you may spend.

NYCPilot said:
Have you considered buying new. Less maintence issues.....at least for a while.

I agree with this. I am an A&P and a commercial pilot. Buying new would be better, if you can afford it that is. Less mx issues. But there are good used planes out there. I know someone who bought a used plane, then ended up putting so much money into it for mx issues, it ended up costing more than a new one. Just to let you know.

According to Cessna’s web site a new 182 can cost about $260,000 for a standard package. Which that’s more then you said you want to spend. Just thought I’d let you know.

J,

Another thought I had, if you really want a hot-rod, but yet a simple airplane, try to go visit these folks:

http://www.txskyways.com

They're at Boerne, TX, just a bit north of San Antonio. What they do is take a stock Skylane, remove the O-470 engine, and replace it with a new O-550 engine. You also get a new 3 blade prop. You'll get like 60 extra hp, plus the recommended Time Between Overhauls (TBO) goes as high as 2500 hrs. These folks might even know of an already converted Skylane or two for sale. Optionally, you could look for a runout Skylane that's in good shape otherwise, and these folks can do the pre-buy inspection and replace the engine if the sale goes through.

Keep in mind, that whatever you buy (used), the logs and records of the aircraft are worth about 20% of the price, and the avionics as much as another 20% or so. No matter how good it looks and runs, you want to consider both when determining a sales price.

hah....cool idea. yeah I have seen some of those Skylanes with the upgrade engines on autotrader but didn't know what they were exactly. That might be a hell of a plane.

Definitaly consider a Bonanza or a Cherokee/Lance. Great airplanes. Also 182's are good planes. Probably cheaper insurance wise. I work for a sales company and we'd be happy to demo an airplane for you that you are interested in. Not sure what price range your looking at but we've got a top notch sales team that could help you out. PM me if you'd like.

Thanks Richard. May take you up on that. I am a bit leery of getting a Bonanza and having some overblown expenses. I do have a friend who's been flying one back and forth from Texas to Alaska for 25 yrs and loves it. I know thery are sweet planes. I'm new to this so am doing research and asking questions right now planning to buy in 3 or 4 months.

I second the suggestion about the C-210 and C-182s. Hard to go wrong there. I knew someone who had the 182 with the O-520 conversion. That was a real good-performing airplane. The 550 is a much better engine, though, IMO. The 182RG is another good airplane, with a better engine than the straight-legged 182 (Lycoming 540). It's also available in a turbo version, but then you're in 210 territory.
If you go for a 210, try to go for an "N" model or later (stay away from the "M" and earlier models with the complex, hydraulically-powered nose and main gear doors. The "R" model 210s are the best, and expensive. If you go 182, try the 1979 (?) or later years, when Cessna went with the wet wing. Earlier 182s had bladders for the fuel tanks, with all the problems those bring.

C

I noticed you mentioned the possibility of carrying passengers. If anyone is paying you to fly the plane, you have to have a commercial certificate.
One of the nicest prop planes i've seen at my airfield while walking around has to be the cirrus 22. That thing inside is schweet. Plus my instructor tells me it's got a powerful engine and a really fast cruising speed.

Latest resources

Back