Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

bahjaus

Hi guys,
I have a question specifically concerning UPS. First let me tell you about my background:
I'm about to turn 26 this year; I'm planning to transfer as junior to Southern Illinois University to finish the last 2 years towards a BS in Aviation management. SIU has an internship agreement with UPS, where you work for 12 months as an intern in Flight Ops (pay is about $2000/month); you get to help out at the chief pilot’s office or in the training department, so it's a great way to make inside contacts, it also used to be that you have access to the jumpseat, I don't know if that's still the case. The official agreement between the school and UPS, doesn't guarantee an interview after the internship, but having a successful experience makes your chances higher. Since the agreement was signed in 95, 2 former interns have already been hired as of last year, which is not too bad for 6 years.
Here is my dilemma: I'm almost 26 and don't want to waste any time to get to the majors, if I am selected for the internship that's 12 months spent mostly not accumulating any flight time (except probably instructing on the week-ends). On the other hand, I can make good contacts and learn a lot about UPS, increasing my chances for a FO interview after a few years in the regionals for example.
The other path, is to do just a summer internship at a regional airline, graduate sooner and with preferential hiring start building turbine time for UPS and other majors.
Which way do you think would be the fastest and offering the most chances to get hired with UPS?
Are you guys familiar with the internship program? Have you flown with anybody that did it?

Sorry for the long post and thanks for your help!

bahjaus:

If UPS is who you want to work for then go for the internship. Most jobs in aviation are still gotten by who you know or inside contacts. BY working at UPS you will get lots of inside contacts and when you meet their flight time qualifications you will be able to use them to get you the call for an interview.

Good luck.

I can make good contacts and learn a lot about UPS, increasing my chances for a FO interview after a few years in the regionals for example.

You won't get an "F/O" interview. If interviewed and hired, it will be for a S/O position.

I think he meant "Flight" Officer, not "First". :)

If you take the internship try to keep flying as much as possible. If UPS is your ultimate goal then the internship should be worthwhile. Good Luck.

Latest resources

Back