Question about hiring pools

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

PUflight

Just wondering how airlines determine who gets called first for class in a hiring pool. Is the amount of time they have? The date that they were placed in the pool? Or does it just vary with different airlines. Thanks

Hi!

I'm in a pool right now. In this pool, the company calls in the highest qualified pilots first, and then moves through the pool, so technically you might never get called.

The airline I'm furloughed from has a pool, and I believe they are calling people in the order that they were notified that they were hired.

At Air Wisconisn, they had a pool, but recently drained it, because they didn't think they would be calling anyone from the pool in the near future.

Note: If you are in a large pool, realize that some pilots are in multiple pools, or in pools and on furlough, so if a pilot fills a slot in a training class for SkyWest, for example, that may lower the pools in ASA and Comair, if they were in all three of those pools.

The above applies to training classes, as I've known of pilots awaiting training in 3 airlines, so when they pick one, it opens up two other training class slots.

In the airline that I am pooled, I told them I was available on short notice, so that if someone is called in for training class, and then cancels, I may get their spot, instead of waiting several more months.

Cliff

PS-Good luck to you in your search!

Latest resources

Back