question about flying for PSA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

bgaviator

I need some advice. I currently work as an aircraft dispatcher for a 121 airline....but I was just on PSA's web site today and they aren't listing any min flight times for pilots....just commercial/multi/instrument.
I'll be honest, I haven't flown a plane in 2 years and I only have 14 multi engine....but are they so desperate they would still maybe look at someone like me? Do you think I would need to go get current and really brush up before even thinking about it? thanks.

Yes, they are desperate all regionals are getting desperate. I would get as much brush up as I could. Sim evals during interviews and it may help during your training to be current. Just my 2 cents hope it helps!

You are going to get an earful about PSA in general in a few posts I'm sure. That aside, with only 14 multi they may look at you, but from what I have been seeing, they are still taking guys with 600-800 TT and 50-100 multi. However, that pool may be drying up and hence the no mins thing. Can't hurt to throw an app in. Just be ready for the IFR work in the sim if/when you get a call back.

They will look at you. If you are breathing they will take you. There is a reason that PSA is the only regional whos mins are comm/multi/inst.... And it isnt because they are nice.

Brush up so I don't have to teach you how to fly with 70 pax in the back.
Yeah! Especially since you already knew how to fly pax before you ever did it the first time! I seem to remember a couple of fcukstick captains when I was at PSA...bet you were one of them.

Here is a new low for PSA Management....If you call in sick you will get a 0 (Zero) paycheck. Then after you play the 15 phone calls game to get it sorted out you will get an answer of ...."next check will sort it all out", basically they are punishing you if you call in sick. So do they want us to fly sick? Makes you wonder.

You don't want to come here, we all hate it here, we hate our Mgt. they hate us. Just when you think it can't get any worse, it does. You are going to do what you want anyhow, but you should stop and think why is there no flight time requirement to work here anymore. This Mgt will treat you with nothing but disrespect. Schedules are horrible, on average a senior 20+ year guy can get at best 14 days off sometimes 13 if lucky 15, on top of that trips are not commutable. They will intentially jack up your pay. Example, 5th paycheck is half your garuantee (37.5 hours) if from april 16 - 30 your scheduled to fly 63 hours and you are out sick for 38 hours, your pay on 5 May will be ZERO with just a little for your per diem advance maybe $200, regardless of what you flew or how much sick time you have. Your sick time will be paid to you on the 20th. Scheduling will not ever work with you, because if they do they will get in trouble for doing a crew member a favor. We accrue personal days off every year but when you try to use them, they deny you 99% of the time. This mgt group can't be trusted, should things improve here, it will be just long enough to get staffing up, then it is back to the same ole crap. Then there is the matter of sitting hot reserve for ten hours at the airport with no pay. Constant junior mans, extensions. Did I mention how poor management and pilot relations were? Life here at PSA sucks, it used to be a good place to be, but our current mgt does everything to make quality of life as bad as possible and screw you financially. Ask a few of the military guys here what the company is doing to them, not very patriotic I assure you. If you need the time, then come here get 500 hours and leave for republic, skywest, horizon just don't stick around here and I would suggest brushing up a bit on those flying skills. We have some great crews here, but most everyone is looking at leaving even if it is somewhere temporarily until they get the real job they want. Good luck, just remember life at PSA sucks but if you need to come here to get some time and leave, then welcome.

I worked 4 days then called off for the last 3 weeks before i quit....i think i had about 20 hours of sick time left too. My final paycheck should have been about 40 hours or so... The check I was mailed?? $0.00. Maybe I will see it sometime.

You don't want to come here, we all hate it here, we hate our Mgt. they hate us. Just when you think it can't get any worse, it does. You are going to do what you want anyhow, but you should stop and think why is there no flight time requirement to work here anymore. This Mgt will treat you with nothing but disrespect. Schedules are horrible, on average a senior 20+ year guy can get at best 14 days off sometimes 13 if lucky 15, on top of that trips are not commutable. They will intentially jack up your pay. Example, 5th paycheck is half your garuantee (37.5 hours) if from april 16 - 30 your scheduled to fly 63 hours and you are out sick for 38 hours, your pay on 5 May will be ZERO with just a little for your per diem advance maybe $200, regardless of what you flew or how much sick time you have. Your sick time will be paid to you on the 20th. Scheduling will not ever work with you, because if they do they will get in trouble for doing a crew member a favor. We accrue personal days off every year but when you try to use them, they deny you 99% of the time. This mgt group can't be trusted, should things improve here, it will be just long enough to get staffing up, then it is back to the same ole crap. Then there is the matter of sitting hot reserve for ten hours at the airport with no pay. Constant junior mans, extensions. Did I mention how poor management and pilot relations were? Life here at PSA sucks, it used to be a good place to be, but our current mgt does everything to make quality of life as bad as possible and screw you financially. Ask a few of the military guys here what the company is doing to them, not very patriotic I assure you. If you need the time, then come here get 500 hours and leave for republic, skywest, horizon just don't stick around here and I would suggest brushing up a bit on those flying skills. We have some great crews here, but most everyone is looking at leaving even if it is somewhere temporarily until they get the real job they want. Good luck, just remember life at PSA sucks but if you need to come here to get some time and leave, then welcome.

Gawd dangit, scouts out!, that was the most accurate, complete picture of the current conditions at PSA I've seen yet.

To all those applying: Read scouts out!'s post several times. There are tons of us here who would agree with every word he's written.

BC

Latest resources

Back