Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Question about flying during Hurricane season in southeast..

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

JDREsquire1224

Guys, I'm coming to you with some questions because I hope I can get some good responses. I've been having some good talk on other boards, but I think the experiences you bring to the table would be the best. I'm wondering about flying jets during hurricane season. I have a few friends in the business and they said even though there might be a tropical storm warning, that sometimes you'll be dispatched into a storm. I was wondering how you fly into a hurricane in a jet? I know the maximum crosswinds on landing are like 20 knots mostly, but what happens if you get that swirling wind going and you have a crosswind/headwind/tailwind? It'd be a like a 3 headed monster that I don't think charts can prep you for. As an FO I'd probably defer to the captain. A problem I'd worry about if I were flying a jet would be flameout. A couple others would probably be windshear and stuff like that, but I think the windshear would be less likely that flameout. Also, don't worry about anything if you are a prop flier, because I won't be flying props. I'll just tell whoever I fly for soon that I want to fly a jet and I'll probably be in a pretty good one.

The flameout is likely due to the swirling wind suddenly going up the tailpipe. The trick is to fly a circling overhead maneuver to continually stay into the wind which is displayed on the EFIS (Electronic Flight Instrument System). Just keep the arrow pointed at you at all times.

It's a hurricane, not a tornado. Secondly, I doubt you will ever be dispatched to land at a place that is about to have the eye of hurricane pass over. There is a slim chance to you will be called upon to land at a place that is experiencing the effects of one of the outer rainbands of a storm. Rainbands can extend hundreds of miles way from the storm and can generate winds in the range of 20 knots.

I would worry more about wind gusts/sheer on landing vice the wind shifting rapidly from a headwind to a cross/tail wind.

In the short term (i.e the amount of time it takes to execute an approach and landing), the wind direction will be fairly steady, however the wind speed may fluctuate dramatically during that same period.

Last edited:
The best part is when the winds are fast enough you land almost like a helicopter. Your airspeed is 120kts and your ground speed is like 5 kts. You just land on the ramp and then turn right into your gate.

Used to work for a company who had to fly in right after hurricanes to set up shop. Any Corporate flight department for a major insurer is pretty well experienced in these sorts of operations. State Farm used to have routers and telephone systems to handle 5,000+ lines to a sat link which were palletized down to fit in a fleet of Learjets. That was back in the 1990's, they probably handle 25,000+ lines today and have their own sat link.

Hurricanes are flat. Over ~ 25,000 feet they are nothing other than a curiosity as you fly over in smooth air. On arrival the most significant hazard is debris on the runway. The winds (the day after) are steady in one direction and if you don't like the landing weather, wait 6 hours and the winds will have shifted.

As others have mentioned the infrastructure is too destroyed and folks are too wrapped up in other projects to expect a 121 flight to be operated in or out the day before, or day after.

Again, the airplane is happy. The problem is the infrastructure on the ground & debris. If you tear up your airplane by sucking, or running over, debris you are stuck. Forget getting parts & mechanics. Folks do not come to work when their car is floating in the pool. Worse, after Katrina the locals showed up at the airport and started taking every part that they thought was worth any money. One client of mine was very worried as they saw two of their Corporate jets get picked clean using their satellite imagery.

Flameouts? We ran with the ignition on through some of the very wet bands which radiate out from the storms, but that is not much different than your procedures in any heavy rain. You will be surprised how steady the wind is.

Nobody is going to dispatch you in the thick of the storm. The day after is no big deal. Three days after and your biggest problem is finding a cold beer and dealing with the mosquito's that take advantage of the warm weather and lots of water.

By the way, if anyone sees a Airboat in Louisiana powered by an Garret/Allied Signal TFE-731, PM me and we can probably get you a reward. There are a bunch of airplane motors on Airboats, ever wonder how they got there?

Last edited:
The flameout is likely due to the swirling wind suddenly going up the tailpipe. The trick is to fly a circling overhead maneuver to continually stay into the wind which is displayed on the EFIS (Electronic Flight Instrument System). Just keep the arrow pointed at you at all times.

Now that, that right there is funny. I ain't even flown no efus and I kin tell that's funny.

Latest resources

Back