Question About ERJ Wing

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
shamrock said:
Any of you ever see the pictures of the NetJets guy that got a static wick in the eye while doing his walk around?
Yea, just happened to run across those pics on my computer a few days ago.

Still makes me cringe to this day when I see those pics, and while checking the static wicks during the preflight!

The guy who that happened to was a member on here at one point if I remember correctly.

True about the aileron effectiveness in that they prevent span-wise flow of air. They also double as a vent for the bleed air that heats the wings. I am not sure about the leading edge lift device though.

EMBPLT said:
True about the aileron effectiveness in that they prevent span-wise flow of air. They also double as a vent for the bleed air that heats the wings. I am not sure about the leading edge lift device though.

They don't "vent" they are heated so you don't get ice on them.

Vortilons get pushed into the airstream ahead of the leading edge. Once their, they act just like vortex generators.

Later

Yes they are heated as well, and the "VENTS" on the back of them vent the bleed air out of the wing. That is why it is a preflight item to be checked for anything that may have blocked them. I learned this from an instructor at FSI who definitely knows more about the E145 than anybody out there.

Another thing - Not that I don't agree with the fact that they act like vortex generators, however they naturally sit out in front of the leading edge in the airstream. They don't get "pushed" anywhere. They are a fixed object. Do you mean their or there?

EMBPLT said:
Yes they are heated as well, and the "VENTS" on the back of them vent the bleed air out of the wing. That is why it is a preflight item to be checked for anything that may have blocked them.
I learned this from an instructor at FSI who definitely knows more about the E145 than anybody out there.

As you know, I'm sure, there are already vents for the wing, three of them. The vortilons are heated for ice protection and the slot is to exhaust the used hot air. They are not additional hot air exhausts vents as you imply. The pre-flight check is to ensure the vents are clear so the anti-ice for the vortilon will function correctly. As an aerodynamic device they must be kept free of ice. This information is from the factory in Brazil when i paid them a visit a while ago.
This has to be a joke. My experiance with Flight Safety does not back this statement up. Poorly trained and lacking in basic knowledge is what I have experianced there.

EMBPLT said:
I learned this from an instructor at FSI who definitely knows more about the E145 than anybody out there.

I bet you are talking about Clem. He likes to tell people that he knows more about the E-145 than everyone else. I was in his first class when he was a ground school instructor. It wasn't pretty. The guy was clueless.

I dunno DK. I remember sitting in ATR school with Clem and his stick pointer over his shoulder talking about the DC BTC PB like there was no tomorrow.

Didn't have much else to do but listen since Elaine had already eaten all the donuts.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back