• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

question about Continental growth

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Any scoop on the average new hire's backround? I know a couple of people picked up at CAL recently and their qualifications are all over the map, so just trying to get a better idea how I stack up. I get the feeling its the industry standard "who you know" Any hope for a guy with a 2 year degree?

Thanks for the info

I know CAL has hired some relatively low time turboprop FO's with LOR's. Not sure if those LOR's were from captains or FO's. I think it's a decent airline but none of the bases appeal to me and I hate commuting. the other thing I'd be worried about is mergers which I think are inevitable.

A few low time pilots will get hired at any company as long as they meet the minumums and know the right people. This does not mean they do not deserve the job. If you meet the minimums apply and network, as I understand it it does not matter if the letter is from a CA or an FO. All of my recomendations came from FO's and I was the only civilian that was interviewing on my day. Who you know gets you in the door what you know keeps you there. I can't wait to start and I am not to worried about CAL or any of the merger talk. If you look and UAL and CAL they are both in need of pilots and CAL especially. What they told me at my interview was that they are very conservative when it comes to manning, so if they hiring as much as they are they are very short staffed. I am not saying there are not risks, but I think CAL is a good risk. Good luck to everyone.

Dave Benjamin said:
I think it's a decent airline but none of the bases appeal to me and I hate commuting.

Are you holding out for a "management job" like Uncle Eddie?

Good luck

CLAMBAKE

What kind of info do they want you to bring for the interview? Anything other than a Resume and log books?

FR8mastr said:
What kind of info do they want you to bring for the interview? Anything other than a Resume and log books?

as per the email they will send you prior to interview:

With the above documents, please enclose a copy of the following:

1. Your Pilot licenses (front and back,)
2. Your current First Class Medical form 8500-9 (short form),
3. Your current First Class Medical form 8500-8 (long form),
4. Your Radio Telephone Operator Permit,
5. Your Social Security card,
6. Your current Driver’s License,
7. Your current valid Passport that allows you to fly unrestricted internationally,
8. College transcripts,
9. DD214 if separated from the military (if you have already received it).
10. Current ATP Written Exam results, if you do not hold an ATP rating. If your ATP written is expired, you must provide a letter of employment from a Part 121 or 135 air carrier which shows employment prior to the expiration of the ATP written exam.

catIIIc said:
What they told me at my interview was that they are very conservative when it comes to manning, so if they hiring as much as they are they are very short staffed. I am not saying there are not risks, but I think CAL is a good risk. Good luck to everyone.

I would say that is a very true statement. In my almost nineteen years I can think of only a handful of times we were over staffed. They usually run this place with minimum staffing. I have never seen us so short at this time of the year, it really shows how short we are. We historically staff this place for the slow times (fall, winter) and we get by in the busy times (spring, summer) with extremely poor staffing. I spent three summers on reserve after 9/11 and boy did I work my tail off.

catIIIc Welcome to CAL!

catIIIc said:
What they told me at my interview was that they are very conservative when it comes to manning, so if they hiring as much as they are they are very short staffed.

They were honest about this. They offered time-and-a-half pay for pilots to pick up extra trips on Christmas and New Year's and "allowed" them to fly during their vacation.

Understand the flip side of this, though. The reason they are able to man the airline so close to the margin is that there are always plenty of pilots willing to help them out in the pinch by: answering a call from scheduling on their days off (as if they don't work enough days as it is), flying during their vacation (all add pay), responding to time-and-a-half offers, even lineholders placing themselves on reserve so they can get that extra nickel. That is the culture you're joining.

Well lets just hope age 60 remains for at least five more years. Two thirds of our pilot group will have been hired in a ten year period. Our demographics as a pilot group will be completely different as compared to when we voted on this POS contract. It's my hope we will have a truly unified strong pilot group, who will become active participants within CAL ALPA!

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back