Question about Commercial Training Part 141 & 61

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Air 1

This may be a little confusing, but here goes. I am scheduled to start flying at a 141 school in January. This is a university run by the state. I have my private and instrument already, and their syllabus requires 120 hours of cross country time before training for commercial. I currently have 170 hours TT, all part 61, and getting 120 hours would put me well over the 250 pt 61 comm requirement. They require a minimum of 35 hours to pass the x-country flight lab. I am planning on getting around 60 hours from them, dropping out of the flight lab, and get the remaining 20 hours with a pt 61 school to get my commercial ticket. Is this perfectly fine to do? The reason I'm flying 141 for a while is because the schools solo hourly rates are cheaper than the pt 61 schools hourly rates. After dropping this, I am planning on changing majors so I can graduate with an A&P, and BS in Maint. rather than a pro pilot degree. Thanks

Last edited:
Your plan sounds reasonable. There is no need to go part 141 if you already have 170TT. 120 hours of XC time BEFORE beginning the commercial training sounds like BS. I used to work at a 141 school and the whole Comm course was 120 hours of flight time and there was no time prerequsite to begin the program.

Air 1 said:
The reason I'm flying 141 for a while is because the schools solo hourly rates are cheaper than the pt 61 schools hourly rates.

I do not really understand.. who is to keep you from flying under Part 61 at the Part 141 school? If it is a rule they have, it's pretty dumb.

dmspilot00 said:
I do not really understand.. who is to keep you from flying under Part 61 at the Part 141 school? If it is a rule they have, it's pretty dumb.
Its just the way some schools do things.

At Riddle its all "Part 142"...or something wierd...the other big ones are a 141/142 type syllabus as well, I think.

gkrangers said:
How much cross country time do you currently have?

I have 170 TT, with over 100XC.
I have 67 XC hours.

dmspilot00 said:
Like gkrangers said, it's just the way some schools do. You have to be a so called "pro pilot" major to fly their arcraft. They don't have a part 61 program. As you said, it is pretty dumb.

BLing said:
Do it part 61, it will save you time and money.

I am going to do the commercial part 61, its getting a few more hours from the 141 school because it is cheaper by the hour that I'm probably going to do.

50-60 additional hours of XC gets you ~230 TT.

Thats not so bad...

I'll have around 140-150XC when I hit 250.

With the amount of time you have just do it part 61, you can save money and do 50 hrs in an appproved sim, which means you actually only need another 30 hours in an airplane, use that to work on your maneuvers, and then you are done.

I dont know what 141 program would ever, ever require 120 hours of XC time, look up FAR part 141 in the regs and you will not find that quoted anywhere.

Latest resources

Back