Quality time?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

hot section

I am currently residing in FL but will be moving back to Madison, WI by the end of April. I have 625 TT, 162 Turbine (102 is PIC), 183 multi, and 54 actual instrument. I know that the regionals are looking for at least 1000 TT, some more than that. Should I bother sending in a resume to any companies or should I wait? Secondly, does anyone know of any good flight operations which are conducted near Madison, WI where I could work to build more time? The only place I know of that is close is Wisconsin Aviation in Madison and Watertown.

Applying to Commuters

Your turbine time and actual v. total isn't bad. How much is PIC? Turbine PIC is key.

I see no harm in starting up the commuter resume spam if you find yourself able to continue building time. Don't get your hopes up too high, though. You'll still be fighting furloughed people and people with more time than you for the crumbs the commuters are throwing out. I'd send to 135 and freight if you feel so inclined.

Lots of luck with your job search.

I've got to know - who is insuring 500 hour pilots for PIC in turbines? If this came up on somebody I was interviewing, I'd be very curious...

As a pilot who occassionally helps other pilots find insurance, I'd like to know who has underwriting standards this flexible. So please tell.

Last edited:
PIC in Turbine

The PIC time came from flying the PC12. I was an intern for the state of WI aviation department and flew under their part 91 ops. I had a high altitude endorsement so it was legally logged.

THe high altitude endorsement makes no difference in the legality of logging PIC in an airplane. It makes a big difference in the legality of acting in as PIC, in an airplane requiring the endorsement.

To log time as PIC, you must be rated in the airplane. An endorsement is necessary to act as PIC (different from logging PIC); however, an endorsement is not a rating, and is not required to log pilot-in-command time.

Don't build time. Build experience. There is a big difference between logging time, and gaining experience.

Bragging rights!

If my dad was a 74 box hualer and he let me fly the thing, he would have had to lock me my room until he retired.

I must say thats cool as $hit.

LR25

Hotsection--

Send out the resumes but my guess is don't expect to get called in until you have 2000 hours or so. Reading the gouges on COMAIR, I only see that number and higher getting hired right now. That should come down as the airlines slowly begin to hire again, but right now its doubtful that you would be called.

The key is to send out resumes...they won't call you if you don't. You may not have a very good chance at getting an interview right now...but the more you send out resumes the better you look to that airline. I know American Airlines wants to know that you have sent out many resumes to many airlines. They only want serious airline pilots and they feel that serious airline pilots try to get hired by any major. The point is...send send send.

PC 12

The Pilatus doesn't require a type...does it? With the high altitude endoresement you can go ahead and log that time (legally). Any time you are flying the airplane and you are rated in it(if required) part 91 then log it.

The Pilatus is a single pilot airplane so you cannot log any of the time that you were not manipulating the controls (part 91).

Send out the resumes, but, expect to answer questions about the airplane, such as, limitations, powerplant, etc.

:)

Actually, you can log part 91 SIC time or 121 and 135 time for that matter in a single engine airplane. The reg on SIC time says something to the effect that you can log time as SIC if the aircraft is certified only for flight with two pilots or the company policies or insurance requires a second pilot.

Just to go a little further, you can't log IFR time unless you are actually manipulating the controls. You also don't have to be type rate, just current in category, class and type, and even that can be waved if you get the landings and ground school in the first 90 days.

I think that has to be one of the least rigid regs out there.

Hmmm....interesting. Do insurance companies tend to dictate minimum requirements for the guy flying SIC? It's amazing that hot section, with about the same amount of TT that I have now (at the time he started flying SIC in the PC12), was given the opportunity. I'm jealous, hot section!

I'm a programmer for a small company that flies the big boys around in Citations. Maybe I need to start talking to the pilots... ;)

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back