• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

QOL at FedEx in Domicile

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Does anyone know what the most junior aircraft (and seat if the 727) is? and what domicile is most junior?
Assuming someone were hired right now, where is the best domicile and what is the best aircraft and seat to gain seniority the quickest?
I am presuming it would be the 727 SO position in MEM.
Thank you - Gordo

Last edited:
In regards to domiciles, if based in Hong Kong or Cologne or Anchorage, is there any assistance in moving?
Is there any COLA for the higher living costs?
If family members move with you, does the company help transport them there?

Does anyone know what the most junior aircraft (and seat if the 727) is? and what domicile is most junior?
Assuming someone were hired right now, where is the best domicile and what is the best aircraft and seat to gain seniority the quickest?
I am presuming it would be the 727 SO position in MEM.
Thank you - Gordo

MEM is the only fedex domicile with pilots flying all the aircraft that Fedex operates (i.e. 727, 757, A300, MD-11(MD-10), 777)
All other domiciles are aircraft specific and only have one aircraft:
LAX and ANC - MD-11
Cologne - 757
Hong Kong - A300

So, the answer to your question isn't that easy. Some of the info available isn't updated immediately. So far this year, new hires have been put into 727 S/O, 727 F/O, HKG A300 F/O and ANC MD-11 F/O. It's likely they will or already have been slated for Cologne too. No new hires this year have slots in the MEM MD-11, A300, 757, 777 or LAX MD-11.

The most junior pilot is in the 727 F/O seat, followed by the ANC MD-11, HKG A300 and then 727 S/O. They're all new hires this year so their seniority numbers are all within 40 digits of each other - so the ranking doesn't mean that much. Those are the junior seats right now.

It probably most likely that the lower paying seats (i.e. S/O and F/O on the 727) will have the most movement and therefore the quickest jump in seniority short term. However, that is a shrinking fleet as the company continues retire them and replace them with 757s. So, that factor may have a negative influence on the situation longer term. New hires in those seats will probably see some early improvement to their situation but long term, it's likely that improvement will stagnate. They'll probably be looking to bid out of those seats within a couple of years of being hired if the retirement schedule for the 727 stays on track.

S/Os usually hate the job and want out asap, so that will mean better seniority improvement than those in the 727 right seat. If a 727 F/O new hire wants out asap, he's got to bid up to a widebody F/O position due to a training freeze on lateral movements (i.e narrow body F/O to NB F/O). So, if I had a choice, I'd avoid the 727 right seat as a new hire. As a S/O at least you have the option to stay for QOL or bid out for pay, QOL or both.

If you had a choice of any seat for your first position at Fedex as a new hire looking for max quality of life (good long term seniority improvement, no extra training cycles, decent pay), should probably try to get into the right seat of the 757 in MEM. It's a growing fleet and will be a good place to gain seniority without swapping seats. If you're chasing pay, then the best place to do that is probably ANC or HKG depending on how adventurous you're feeling. Perhaps MD-11, A300 or 777 in MEM will be new hire options in the future but for now that is not happening. It's likely that anyone hired this year will be able to hold any F/O seat in the company within 2 years (as a guess). It just depends on how much training you're willing to endure and how badly you want pay over avoiding reserve.

Another long answer to a seemingly simple question.

In regards to domiciles, if based in Hong Kong or Cologne or Anchorage, is there any assistance in moving?
Is there any COLA for the higher living costs?
If family members move with you, does the company help transport them there?

Yes, they have move packages for all those locations. No COLA - I believe the FDAs (CGN/HKG) have a new clause that adjusts the housing allowances based on exchange rates. They have transportation costs for family members in the move packages.

Latest resources

Back