• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Qatar New Pilot Bond

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
First of all, the bond deduction is for 18 months, not 36, AND IT IS FULLY REFUNDED TO YOU at the end of the 36 INITIAL months. Think of it as a savings account, albeit forced on you. This is only a concern to people who don't plan to stay there the full 3 years. The deduction is $1,400 a month for 18 months ($25k), you get this $25k back after 36 months. Then no further bonds between aircraft movements.

If you can get in now, it is great time. It is still relative early in the growth phase, where as Emirates is farther along the growth phase and upgrades are slower.

The point is, in your first 18 months, that's $25k less out of your pocket you can use to get stuff you need. A car, for example. Or to pay off loans at home. Let me ask you, how many other middle eastern airlines (that hire foreign pilots) force a salary deduction for the training bond? I can't think of any. The training bond is repayed in case you leave, prorated in duration. For QR to do what they have done, I think it goes to show that they have a significant amount of attrition for people within the 0-3 year mark. Most pilots that go for expat jobs can at least last the duration of 3-5 years. It seems QR is bleeding its current foreign pilot force. One way to forcefully keep one around is to ensure you withhold $1,400 per month from salary owed. The employee is therefore suckered into staying at least 18 months, to get their money earned paid out. To me, this rubs off as a desperate attempt to keep pilots, and it won't work. I won't fall for it. Instead of forcefully withholding earned salary for 18 months, how about they try and improve their pay/benefit package so people actually feel worthy to stay around? Why not? Because that will cost money. And what QR has done is the cheaper option.

This is the results of too many runners! Because of those people that have jumped the bonds now the rest pays for it!

The airlines have learned their lessons. So now who to blame?

This is the results of too many runners! Because of those people that have jumped the bonds now the rest pays for it!

The airlines have learned their lessons. So now who to blame?

I still think it's the airline. Even the select few PO'ed Emirates pilots I know have all been there at least 3 years.

Perhaps QR has other issues that forces pilots to run away. School reimbursement covering only one kid. No retirement/pension scheme nor fund. How can any family man be able to accept employment when only one kid will be covered and no retirement scheme is offered? That makes it pretty crystal clear that Qatar doesn't want you long term, even though it's an open-ended contract. If you want to retain a pilot, make sure the pay and benefits are up to par with the competitors. So far, they are far below.

Open ended contracts in a place where people do a 100 yard dash in the middle of the night and the company finds out that they quit because they didn't show up to duty in the morning, don't really mean much!

Does anyone know, with certainty and preferably a current pilot, if the bond is prorated, reduced by 1/36 every month? So if I understand correctly, if you stay 18 months, do you only owe 18 months left on bond? HOWEVER, since you had a deduction for the training bond for the first 18 months, does this mean you can technically leave with no further bond obligation?

Open ended contracts in a place where people do a 100 yard dash in the middle of the night and the company finds out that they quit because they didn't show up to duty in the morning, don't really mean much!
LOL! Are you talking about "escaping" the country overnight in a hurry? Now that's just funny! Reminds me of the Air India Express Captain from NZ. While on layover in Abu Dhabi, he got a call to come into their headquarters due to some discrepancy in his logbook hours. This guy took a plane to India, and hopped the first flight to NZ. Innocent until proven guilty! ;)

Well you can't do that when in Qatar, from what i hear is that you have your passport taken from you when you are off duty. That and you only have two exit visas a year. I will admit this is second hand info. But this is because of a law in Qatar and not a company policy. They have this for all foreign national workers, even high paid execs

Well you can't do that when in Qatar, from what i hear is that you have your passport taken from you when you are off duty. That and you only have two exit visas a year. I will admit this is second hand info. But this is because of a law in Qatar and not a company policy. They have this for all foreign national workers, even high paid execs

Perhaps urban legend, but I have heard stories of guys leaving while on out of country layovers. Usually the preparation begins a month or two in advance by shipping small amounts of personal items home. Then on a layover in Europe or the USA they just don't show up for duty for the return flight to the sandpit.

I think that's urban legend. You get to keep your passport while in Qatar. And the two exit visas per year is true but a pilot can (and many do) obtain the multiple entry visa permit for their passports. It costs some decent coin (I forget how many Riyals) but many who travel back/forth end up paying for it because it's worth it.

A friend of mine was telling me about a law that states if you take an over-seas job, when you return to the USA you are not allowed to work for an operator that carries US Mail for something like 4 or 5 years. Can anybody confirm this or have any details about this law? It would be great to make some money over-seas for a few years, but I would hate to come back and not be able to get a job.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back