Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

rjpilot7667

Hello all,

Does anyone out there work for QA? what is the life like? can you commute? do you need to have an ICAO ATPL or will an FAA license be ok? What is the pay and schedule like?

Thanks and happy new year,

PM me if you feel it is necessary.

Job with Qatar Air

I am also trying to find more info about Qatar airways. I saw their 777 in Houston few months back.

Qatar is a steady, growing company. Your FAA license will suffice to apply for a job there. You definitely cannot commute and will have to live in Doha. Expect 7-10 days off a month on average from what I'm told.

Remember, Doha is no Dubai. There's nowhere near as much going on there, much more low key entertainment-wise, stricter laws and overall a pretty boring place to live.

Look on pprune, there's loads of info there in the Middle East section.

I would check out their scheduling rules before going to Qatar. Sounds like a brutal schedule; if you want to commute then forget about it. Of course there is that shiny new 777, but who really cares? it's just another airplane.

Of course there is that shiny new 777, but who really cares? it's just another airplane.

Well???? Although I do agree with you that flying a 777 and flying let's say a G-V or an A320, or an E-170 is at its essence the same, not withstanding inertia management of large A/C's and what not, a type and time on the airframe of a 777 will open many opportunities for future earnings in the international market for at least the next couple of decades, from that point of view command time on a 777 or a 744 is not time in just another airplane

Ok, so. lets say you go to Qatar today. Upgrade time currently seems pretty quick, I mean their fleet size is doubling right? BTW; If you are a FO, then by your logic, you may never upgrade to captain because they will keep on hiring Captains in front of you. The only job a 777 or 747 is going to open up for you is a new job in a strange land that nobody else wants to live in. And that job's pay isn't going to be that much more than if you had gone to a major or are flying a GIV. Look, flying a big airplane is easier than flying a small airplane - you are right though, the experience will certainly open some doors for you; but are you sure you want to walk through them?

I am currently in the Middle East on a LOA (non flying gig). I have been networking a bit and so far, most places here require a type and time in type to be competitive. Also remember that contracts here are not enforceable to the same standards as in other places in the world. No unions either. There has been a significant decline in quality of life issues. Commuting is essentially impossible and you typically have only one base. The sandbox is, ummm, different and not for everyone...

My "logic" is based on the experience that I've had, I walked thru one of those doors and couldn't be happier. There are other options than the "sandbox" once you have gained the experience on type. This contract for example is still hiring DEC's but they also have an active upgrade program. I'm not saying that contract flying is for everyone and if you are young enough to wait around for when FDX starts hiring again or you want to invest 18 years in UAL then go for it, but for some people like for example the many UAL, ABX, USair furloughed that are working here now, contract flying has been a very good option indeed. About the contract enforcement, you have to do your homework and go with agencies that are reputable, I'm with PARC out of Ireland and they are excellent it really all depends to which company you go to. Did you really say that you would make as much flying for a major in the states right now? I figure you got to do some research

Flying a big airplane is easier than a small airplane. Wow you must be a expert. So flying a 747-400 for 16 hours is the same as a flying a RJ from CLE to JFK. If its easier why such a big pay difference.

Flying a big airplane is easier than a small airplane. Wow you must be a expert. So flying a 747-400 for 16 hours is the same as a flying a RJ from CLE to JFK. If its easier why such a big pay difference.

I know exactly what you're saying and I agree with you. Though one thing that I have to disagree with is that the difficulty of flying the aircraft has NO correlation with pay (it makes me sad to say). I made more as a flight instructor in a 152 than I do flying an RJ. I know people in 737/320's making more than people in 75/76/77's. Odd - but true. Sadly true. Shameful isn't it?

Though I feel that I know what you're getting at and I agree with you.

Latest resources

Back