• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Qatar Airways

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If you fly a 747-400 for 16 hours, then you are out of gas. It takes experience to get to a big jet, but that doesn't mean that it is harder to fly. Does an RJ have autothrottles (or even FADEC active?), or autoland, autobrakes, or Cat3B approach capability? NO. The challenge is flying the airplane only once or twice a month because there are not enough legs to go around; which means that a pilot on these big aircraft require discipline and maturity. That is why they are getting paid more, they have been screened to be the best, are experienced, and can make good decisions - not because the airplane is harder to fly!

Ok, so. lets say you go to Qatar today. Upgrade time currently seems pretty quick, I mean their fleet size is doubling right? BTW; If you are a FO, then by your logic, you may never upgrade to captain because they will keep on hiring Captains in front of you. The only job a 777 or 747 is going to open up for you is a new job in a strange land that nobody else wants to live in. And that job's pay isn't going to be that much more than if you had gone to a major or are flying a GIV. Look, flying a big airplane is easier than flying a small airplane - you are right though, the experience will certainly open some doors for you; but are you sure you want to walk through them?

They hire direct entry captains..so fleet size doubling has little effect on upgrades..read Pprune about the place..a MUST!!!

The always will hire direct entry captains.... even in bad times. What does that mean for a FO already there???? they are not liking it very much; just a paradigm shift in how you hire your pilots. FO upgrade is 4 years if you join right now.

The always will hire direct entry captains.... even in bad times. What does that mean for a FO already there???? they are not liking it very much; just a paradigm shift in how you hire your pilots. FO upgrade is 4 years if you join right now.

What you probably mean to say is that F.O.s who joined 4 years ago are upgrading today. That does not mean that pilots who join today will upgrade in 4 years. Maybe, but maybe not. There is no possible way that prediction can be made based on how Qatar operates. What's more likely is that a pilot who joins Qatar today will either be fired or quit within 4 years.

That said, at least they do upgrade, unlike Vietnam or KAL.

Typhoonpilot

If you fly a 747-400 for 16 hours, then you are out of gas.

And in an RJ, or ANY narrow body airplane you can run out of gas. Does that make the problem any different?

It takes experience to get to a big jet, but that doesn't mean that it is harder to fly. Does an RJ have autothrottles (or even FADEC active?)

Both the ones I've flown did. One was more advanced than most of the larger aircraft that have them. The other, not so much.

or autoland, autobrakes, or Cat3B approach capability?

Narrow body/domestic aircraft have these capabilities. Again, is it any different?

The challenge is flying the airplane only once or twice a month because there are not enough legs to go around; which means that a pilot on these big aircraft require discipline and maturity. That is why they are getting paid more, they have been screened to be the best, are experienced, and can make good decisions - not because the airplane is harder to fly!

So, the junior/reserve narrow body pilot that could be new to many of the things you mentioned goes through the EXACT situations you've outlined above can handle it. What's the difference?

Before you get all spooled up, I agree with the more experience more pay thing.

But your arguments are weak, sorry.

Hi!

Pprune.org, for whatever reason, is VERY negative, more so than any of the US message boards.

So, if lots of negative comments by pilots will persuade you, don't apply at Qatar (or Emirates, Cathay, Delta, CAL, UAL, AA, USAir, Alaska, etc., etc.).

cliff
GRB

The best way to go about it is to visit Qatar first, you'll be living there after all. Then decide if it's actually for you. I guess you can do that during the interview.

I once sat with the wife of a Qatar new hire when I was jumpseating. She made it seem very nice, certainly better than any major here and it looked like the place is family friendly as well for expats.

My only challenge is ? Do you have any ideal what your talking about.

Once you get an "ideal" about anything, feel free to check in again.

Latest resources

Back